• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingmax DDR400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Placid

I got 2sticks of the Kingmax ddr400 today and it running in my epox 4SDA at 204mhz 100%stable with 2.7v.

I tried it in my iwill xp-333 but it dosen't seem to like that board.
Only would run at 190mhz with one stick.

Here is my sandra bench on the epox board.
I haven't tried using faster timings with it yet.

I have read that kingmax does not need the voltage to be raised from default. Some reviews say that doing so will lower FBS. You could try lowering the voltage down to default and see if you can get a higher FBS.

Well the memory might go higher but my cpu is maxed out at this fsb speed.

The sandra score is ok for the timings. No record by any means thou.

i just got two stick of the same ram and my computer would not even post with either. tried one stick, both and all the different combinations of slots possible. bummer.

I know someone with one stick of the kingmax ddr400 and the 8K3A he said he gets to 205mhz with 2.7v before his video messes up. He has had the video problem with other memory over 200 on the 8K3A.
He is using slow memory timings,CAS 2.5-3-3.

Sorry to hear you are having no luck.

I will try it tomorrow.
I don't feel like having to pull the cover off and resetting the bios tonight.

It's rated cas 2.5.

I guess I know what you mean Placid. I don't feel like overclocking at all when I overclock too high and it isn't able to boot. On the other hand my Asus had a safe bios to boot from so there was no reset CMOS option.

Yodums

I bought it at www.kommax.com but if you look at pricewatch there are three or four places selling it.

This memory is fine at slow timings but dosen't seem to like fast timings.
Also it may not perform as well on another brand of motherboard.

I have some samsung 2700 I am testing out now that is doing 204mhz with two sticks with slightly faster timings (2.5-2-3) so far at the same voltage on this board.

I want to wait until I finish testing it tomorrow before I post about it. So far I get a sandra score of 2890 with it.

The samsung is a little strange in that it seems to require a burn-in period before it works well.

Placid said:
I bought it at www.kommax.com but if you look at pricewatch there are three or four places selling it.

This memory is fine at slow timings but dosen't seem to like fast timings.
Also it may not perform as well on another brand of motherboard.

I have some samsung 2700 I am testing out now that is doing 204mhz with two sticks with slightly faster timings (2.5-2-3) so far at the same voltage on this board.

I want to wait until I finish testing it tomorrow before I post about it. So far I get a sandra score of 2890 with it.

The samsung is a little strange in that it seems to require a burn-in period before it works well.

Pfft, SETI :)

Keep us updated Placid.

placid you recomendation kingmax ddr400 for my 8k3a??

i can run fast settings in cas 2??
high fsb??

from the reviews ive seen, i would say go with the samsung. especially on an 8K3A. if u burn it in at like 2.8volts for a day or so that raise it slowly to 3+volts, u will most likely be able to hit 200+fsb at 2-2-2/5 1t command
thats a sweet fsb
-Malakai

Gosu said:
placid you recomendation kingmax ddr400 for my 8k3a??

i can run fast settings in cas 2??
high fsb??

Not really because the kingmax 400 sticks I have do not like anything other than 2.5-3-3 over 180mhz.

The samsung 2700 I have has been stable for 12hrs now running 204mhz 2.5-2-3 on my board.

I know someone who has tried both the samsung 2700 and kingmax 400 on the 8K3A and he said the samsung did a little better for him.

Ok I am done testing with the Samsung 2700.
Two sticks at 204mhz is rock solid with 2.5-2-3, 2.7v.
This beats the kingmax 400 that will run the same speed but at 2.5-3-3, 2.7v.

The sandra score difference is kingmax 2807/2807, Samsung 2892/2892 with the fastest timings that each will run at.

I hope Placid is right on Samsung PC2700 vs KingMax beacuse I just bought a stick of 512MB Samsung PC2700 this afternoon for tonight's test.

Bellow is what I have been doing for various tests with different RAM on my 8k3a+.

With a AMD 2000XP:

* I was able to run 2-2-2-5-1 setting with my Kingmax PC2700 top at 171Mhz (CPU @11x171) and 189Mhz (CPU@10x189) with setting at "normal". CPU voltage was 2.1V and RAM at 3.1V.

After some very aggressive setting to squeeze more fsb, I kind of messed up my HD. I reinstalled the OS and tried again. Strangely, I cannot make the machine boot at 2-2-2-5-1 anymore; even if I tried to run at stock speed of 1.67Mhz (I tried both 10x167 and 12.5x133). I could get it running up to 180Mhz FSB with overclocked CPU but needed to run with less aggressive setting on Ram timing (“faster” mode).

* Because it would hang at the 2nd page of POST procedure, I was kind of suspected that there could be something wrong among 1). CPU, 2). Mobo, or 3). Memory.

Last night, I put in a brand new (rev. 1.02) 8k3a+ with Windbond 6ns chip based TwinMos PC2700 RAM {this very stick just finished test (was the only brand passed with setting at turbo mode) at AMD’s lab at Santa Clara}. CPU was the only thing I didn’t change in my configuration.

I didn’t raise the voltage on either CPU and memory (because this memory is just for me to test and I need to return it later). What I got was 186Mhz setting at “fastest mode”. I was impressed on result of 186 MHZ with “fastest mode” because there was no voltage increase. This did kind of match VR-Zone’s PC2700 comparison review that I read few days ago (they did increse RAM voltage about 0.4 to 0.6V). The Sandra 2002 memory score was 2811 at 186Mhz (it is surprisingly high to me). I kind of like this borrowed TwinMos RAM and hope I dont need to return it next week...:).

* However, it still failed to POST with setting at “turbo”. Very strangely, it wouldn’t POST even at stock 166Mhz while set at “turbo mode”. Just same as before I change mobo and RAM.

Now, this led me to think that something fishy with my unlocked 2000XP. I just got a loaned new 2000XP few hours ago and bought a stick of Samsung PC2700 512MB @$135 before tax(price was better than I thought).

I really want to get my PC to be able to handle "turbo mode" like before. Hopefully, tonight I can nail down what is the cause to stop my machine from running at "turbo mode" If anyone has any suggestion or comment for this, I will really appreciate.

By the way, for RoadWorrior, I do have two 512MB PC2100 nanya based RAM that I used on my ASUS A7V266E system. The max I got was 150Mhz x12.5 (and it became little unstable; 147Mhz or bellow is much safer) with 1900XP. Nanya is very solid on PC2100. Most review on PC2700 are leaning toward either Winbond based or Samsung original memory.

8k3a+
Kingmax PC2700
TwinMos PC2700 (Windbond chip)
Samsung PC2700
CoolerMaster ATC210 modified with 8 fans
Thermalright AX-7 with Delta 80CFM
PC mods rheobus 4 channel fan controller (17W per channel)
digiDoc5 for temp hardware monitoring
2 x IBM ATA 100 HD
Toshiba 16x DVD and Pelixter CD-ROM

MV99

Back