• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i stick or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jdmcnudgent said:
is it better to run 1-256 stick or 2-256 stick for overclocking? im trying to get this puppy up a little higher.:D

1 stick. I don't think it matters what the sizes of the ram are. Or did you mean 1x512mb? Either way one stick is better.

jdmcnudgent said:
no, i have 2 now, and i am wondering if 1 256 will give me better overclocking results.:D
Best way to find out is to try it..It could be possible that one stick is a better overclocker and one is holding the other back (even if they are the same) Try each stick one at a time..

ok, i took one of the sticks out. now i need the the best timings in the bios. heres what options i have:
cas latency time: 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5, set to 2.5 currently
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay: 3 and 2, set to 3 currently
active to precharge delay: 7, 6, and 5 set to 6 currently
DRAM RAS# precharge: 3 and 2 currently set to 3
refresh mode select: 7.8 usec, 15.6 usec, 64 usec set to 15.6
DRAM read thermal mgmt: enabled or disabled?????
delayed transaction: enabled or disabled??????
dont really know what these all mean, but would like to be set for ultimate management. i would atleast like to hit 175 fsb with this ram and i know it will do it. thanks guys.:cool:

The 'best' performance would be:

1) CAS 2.0 (1.5 is pretty much unusable at any memory speed.) Set to 2.5 if you have already raised the other settings but still have problems. This is the one you want to raise last if possible.
2) RAS to CAS and RAS percharge: both 2 if your RAM will do it, otherwise 3 if they can't; not a big difference if they are at 3. Preferable to keep CAS at 2.0 than these.
3) active to Precharge: you could try 5, but I have read that setting this one low can have the greatest effect on stability. 7 is 'normal' for this one, but if you can run it lower, great.
4) As for the last 3, I don't know either :) Leave them at default I guess?

Overall: lower numbers are faster, but less stable.

Read this article at Lost Cicuits for more detailed info about what the settings actually mean.

Oh, and Jack Black rules, I saw him interview with Conan O'Brien: hilarious.

Back