• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2700 or PC2100 on kt333 mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ufo

Registered
Hi guys:

I have a stupid question. I am thinking about buying the motherboard that can support PC2700, but If I don't overclcok the FSB (yet), will the speed of using pc2700 be alot faster than using PC2100? what is the benefit of using PC2700 if (imean if) I don't OC?

Thanks

Data transfer rate of AMD processor is 266 MHz (2.1GB/s).
If you don't overclock FSB, you can't get improvment with DDR 333. You may get 5% improvement in memory bandwidth.

You mean WITHOUT overclocking?

if you are using a Athlon XP processor, then PC2700 won't make any difference. PC2100 has the same bandwidth as athlon xp, both are 2.1GB/sec. Although PC2700 has 2.7GB/sec. bandwidth. The CPU's bandwidth limit will make it get NO benifit from the extra 0.6GB/sec.

But, if you are using a P4, they have 400FSB which have 3.2GB/sec. bandwidth, it will get benifit from the extra bandwidth of the RAM. Of course expect RDRAM, the best DDR RAM for P4 is PC3200 which has the same bandwidth-----3.2GB/sec as the processor.

i see.. thanks for the information. too bad I am going to buy AMD XP 1900. :) , I guess I can't get benefit from PC2700. But what if I OC? it will be a different story, right?

If you can reach FSB166, CPU bandwidth will be same as DDR333.
At this case, you can have benefit with DDR333.

That's incorrect.
If you overclock your cpu, no matter what way you use, the CPU bandwidth will NOT change! Althon XP will always be 2.1GB/sec, P4 will always be 3.2GB/sec.

The only thing about CPU changed after you raised the FSB is the main frequency. AGAIN, the CPU bandwidth will NOT change.

The reason why you can get benifit from use a PC2700 to OVERCLOCK is, when you raise the FSB your RAM may holding you back. PC2100's FSB is 133x2=266, and PC2700's can reach 333. So PC2700 will allow you easier to raise your system's FSB if your other devices not holding you back. Since your CPU main frequency = multiplier x FSB, so the higher FSB you get, the faster of your CPU's frequency will be. That's why overclockers perfer higher FSB RAM in order to have less pressue on the RAM when they raise their system FSB.

Back