• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geezus jumping Christ on a pogo stick!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I was just looking around for some extra ram and saw that prices were at a low on pricewatch for 256mb PC133. I figured a stick from Crucial sould run me around $30-$40 since the no-name generics were as low as $21.

So I goto Crucial, punch in the type of mem I need, and what sould appear...

:mad: Almost $80 for 256MB ram!!! :mad:

Are they on crack or did I miss something here???

The price for thier 128mb stick is about $2 more then what I paid for a 256mb stick from them almost a year ago! I thought ram chips were being over produced and over stocked now!? What gives? Any better options then Crucial?

i would love to get a 256mb stick of crucial for $80. Back when i bought my ddr, when prices were up, i payed $110 a stick:eek: :mad:

he is looking for SDR. you could get a stick of pc2100 crucial
for that and have some cash left over :p
but that doesnt really help you as you are on a SDR mobo

Check the forums classified add's. There are usually some good deals on SDR ram there with everyone upgrading to DDR. Your almost there postwise, so just make a few more good posts and your in.

WyrmMaster said:
Check the forums classified add's. There are usually some good deals on SDR ram there with everyone upgrading to DDR. Your almost there postwise, so just make a few more good posts and your in.

Unforunately he doesn't have 100 posts to get there yet.

Anyways, yea the ram prices had a big hit :(

True that Crucial is anything but generic, but prices for the name brands have generally been only $10-$20 higher then the no-names, not $50-$100. Its like they've finally figured out that overclockers and performance seekers buy thier ram exclusively, so thier gonna stick us with a heftier price tag. It makes sence in a marketing view point that "hey, we make the best so lets charge alittle more". But last I read, supply on mem was high, demand was low, generics keep going down and down, yet for some reason, the big names keep going up and up. Wth is up with that? :confused:

I sould have bought the stick a couple of months back when it was still only $42.:mad:

I sould have bought the stick a couple of months back when it was still only $42.

Tell me about it, I forgot a couple of sticks when it was at $28 Canadian for 256 Megs. When I remembered the next week, it had doubled in price. Then progressively got more expensive. It is however dropping in price, so keep an eye on prices, and you may be able to pick some up cheap.

Mpegger said:
True that Crucial is anything but generic, but prices for the name brands have generally been only $10-$20 higher then the no-names, not $50-$100. Its like they've finally figured out that overclockers and performance seekers buy thier ram exclusively, so thier gonna stick us with a heftier price tag. It makes sence in a marketing view point that "hey, we make the best so lets charge alittle more". But last I read, supply on mem was high, demand was low, generics keep going down and down, yet for some reason, the big names keep going up and up. Wth is up with that? :confused:

I sould have bought the stick a couple of months back when it was still only $42.:mad:

Get this. My dad was looking for ram November, and it was the last weekend of November, right before December, and we went to the store and bought Infenion 256mb PC133 for 35.00 Canadian. The next days, I saw the prices doubled and I'm like, "What the heck, this must be a typo!" So then I look at other stores and same prices! I had later found out that the prices of memory had boomed.

Back