• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these PC100 DIMMS for O/C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

Thanks to the good offices of Lonely Raven, I have plenty of RAM for my systems now. I am however planning to upgrade my wife's K6-2 system to a Duron on an SDRAM board when the opportunity presents itself, so which two of these 64Mb modules do you think will behave best together and are most likely to overclock to 133 or near there. I ask because I might end up giving a module or two away to friends, so I want to know which ones to hold onto. I'd test them myself, but my only SDRAM boards have a max of an 83Mhz bus, so I won't learn anything there.

So the modules are.
IBM PC100 8 chip with IBM chips 8ns.
Viking PC100 8 chip with infineon chips, 8ns.
Compaq PC100 8 chip with micron (?) chips 8ns.
Viking PC100 4 chip with NEC chips 8ns.

I guess all the 8 chip ones are 8x8 with 2 banks of 32Mb and the 4 chip one is 4x16 with one bank of 64Mb. So I am thinking that to avoid problems, that I should probably not consider the 4 chip viking one as suitable to mix with an 8 chip. My gut instincts say to go with the IBM and the Viking/infineon one, since Compaq have been known to steal an appleism and "think differently" on occasion. Not totally sure they are micron chips on the Compaq one, the marking is MT can someone confirm?

thanks for the input,

Road Warrior

This might be a long process, but I'm not sure, but I do think the Micron or Infenion would be the best overclockers. All I can say is try them out. They should be hard at all. Start off by using the Infenion or Micron, hit the highest fsb, and from there you can do a 1 test for each memory from there and then it would be narrowed down.

This might be a long process, but I'm not sure, but I do think the Micron or Infenion would be the best overclockers. All I can say is try them out. They should be hard at all. Start off by using the Infenion or Micron, hit the highest fsb, and from there you can do a 1 test for each memory from there and then it would be narrowed down.

I agree with Yodums here

Thanks, so if they are micron chips on the compaq module those would probably be better than the IBM? I checked out the identification guide at www.plasma-online.de and they match the symbol they have for micron there.

Unfortunately I've got nothing better than 83Mhz to test them with, and with some friends and relatives begging me for RAM I might give one or two away before I can get my grubby mitts on a socket A SDRAM board. Otherwise I'd just do the experiment and wouldn't be asking.

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
Thanks, so if they are micron chips on the compaq module those would probably be better than the IBM? I checked out the identification guide at www.plasma-online.de and they match the symbol they have for micron there.

Unfortunately I've got nothing better than 83Mhz to test them with, and with some friends and relatives begging me for RAM I might give one or two away before I can get my grubby mitts on a socket A SDRAM board. Otherwise I'd just do the experiment and wouldn't be asking.

Road Warrior

Then if any ram module can hit 83fsb then the rest you can donate away I guess.

On this module they did, but I've seen everything on Compaq modules, NEC Hyundai, Samsung .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
Guess it goes on who has the biggest surplus inventory to give Compaq the best deal at the time of bid.

Road Warrior

Back