• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"generic" SamsungPC2700 how do you know?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

I am going to buy another stick of PC2700 to go with my first stcik for my NForce board.

I have seen som references to generic Samsung. how do I know if I got some generic now.

I should have ordered from NewEgg but I didn't. can't remember why I didn't. I ordered from OCsystems and since have read about their crappy service and stuff. Will not order from them.

what is the difference from the real stuff and fake?

thanks,
Mike

One of these days I will get 100 posts.

OCsystem Samsung

The Samsung I got from them suxx. It has 4 chips on each side of the PCB and doesn't reach the rated speed. It also has "Powmem" silkscreened on the PCB. I've got another stick being RMA'd so I'll RMA this one when the other stick's replacement comes.

If it doesn't perform well, then I say RMA it. IF it works fine, then keep it. It does have the right chips on it. I know because I checked.

that is exactly what I got on mine. it also says "powmem" on the PCB too. I think I am going to rma it cause my boards have all been unstable since I got it. I went thru 3 different boards and now have stuck with this one.

going to to test the memory now.

let me know how it goes.

I heard it was hell getting anything done by them right.

Mike:mad:

I was also under the impression that there was different sticks of Samsung with actual Samsung pcb and then other pcb with Samsung chips.

that is why I said "generic" meaning that they might be of lesser quality even though they still have the Samsung chips.

thanks,
Mike

There are many memory resellers that use samsung chips on their own pcbs. Is this what you mean by "generic"?

I guess the original samsung memory would be memory that samsung themselves assembled using their own samsung chips and their own pcb and sold as samsung memory.

I just ordered a 256mb stick of pc2700 from newegg. Should get it by Wed or Thurs. I'll post pics of it.

Samsung

It'll be single-sided with 8 chips, have Samsung silk-screened on the PCB, and a Samsung sticker.

RMA to OCsystem- I called them and they emailed and RMA # and packaging instructions. I'm going to include a brief description of the problem and request either a genuine Samsung replacement or a stick of Kingmax PC2700 (+$10) if they don't stock the real Samsung memory.

I'm just waiting on another stick I RMA'd elsewhere to arrive so I don't have to shut my system down and lose WU's in the down time. Get the RMA number within 30 days if you want to send it back and keep the original invoice.

Back