• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.7 volt or 2.9 volt on a corsair module

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siDDis

currently Im running a corsair XMS pc2700 at 411mhz 2-2-2-5 with 2.7 volt just fine, but pushing it more and it gets unstable

however I have the option to give the memory module 2.9 volt....but Im wondering if this is too much for it? I mean would the module survive one year with 2.9 volt?

From what I understand, running your memory voltage as high as 3.25v will halve (approximately) the life of your memory. However, the life of a memory module at default voltage is supposedly around 20 years, so you'll get approximately 10 years use out of it instead. If you have good case cooling (memory heatsinks are questionable as to their effectiveness), you should be able to up the VDIMM to 2.9v or higher without any detrimental effects. ;)

yeah it'll be fine till around 3.3 volts, just remember that your chip uses samsung memory chips, and samsung doesn't like too much voltage, 2.9 is just fine, but don't go higher than about 3.1 or 3.2.

Back