• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 5850 Flicker at desktop? OC'ing fixes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have the same flicker on my MSI 5850...it's really irritating. I've actually been thinking about RMAing too but I hate to give up. Gonna check ATI Overdrive real quick...yep no change for me...still got the flicker. /sigh

btw I idle at 53c

Idle at 52/53C I don't think is necessarily good, I myself run cooler with my 5850. Keep in mind though that having a toxic, and if you don't have decent airflow in the case, the toxics are clocked higher, so they can potentially run hotter if the special cooler isn't allowed to adequately disperse the heat.

Have the same issue myself with the dual monitors but only when I use Overdrive to clock the card.

I've got a Sapphire 5870 Vapor and noticed that when I OC the card using Overdrive, not matter what value it's set at, I get the flicker on my second monitor.

I'll try the fix when I get home to see if that fixes anything.

I RMA'd mine today. Mine flickered at stock speeds on both monitors and the whole screen would artifact when watching a dvd on my second monitor. I tried the above fix and also tried just ocing it to no avail. Good Luck!

Forgot to add my BFG 8800GTS has none of those problems after reinstalling it but man do I miss the FPS from the 5850.

Have not had this problem on my 5850, only running 1 monitor. I've never used Overdrive though, always turn it off and just use MSI Afterburner for OC profiles. Got my 5850 in early January. It's a reference design XFX card.

Temps seem to depend a lot on ambient. In the winter I idled around 30-35C. Now I'm idling around 40-45C.

I couldn't see it (at work) but mine was similar to this and would happen on the main screen at times too.

I was getting same thing. Stop using CCC to overclock, use Msi Afterburner - Problem should go away. I also relocked the overclock feature in overdrive within CCC before using afterburner.

I wasn't overclocked at all but I was using CCC...hmmm. I wish I would have tried that before I sent it off to the egg.

One more fix

I have worked out another fix for this. Enter CCC - Desktops and Displays - click on the picture of the monitor on the bottom of the window - Configure - Adjustments - check the field Composite sync. It works for me. I hope it will help you.

Attachments

• IMG_9286 - копия.JPG
    IMG_9286 - копия.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_9287 - копия.JPG
    IMG_9287 - копия.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 894
I have worked out another fix for this. Enter CCC - Desktops and Displays - click on the picture of the monitor on the bottom of the window - Configure - Adjustments - check the field Composite sync. It works for me. I hope it will help you.

"In particular, the Composite Sync option combines the vertical and horizontal synchronization signals into one, and is only for composite monitors. Do not click on the blue Composite button unless you are certain you are using a composite monitor."

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_7.html

Are you using a composite monitor ?

Back