• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7/A/R Owners READ!!!! New Bios!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

http://download.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/downloads/BIOS/kt7_a9b0_2.32.zip

Bios A9 (KT7/A/R v1.0~v1.2)

- Updated to catch all the goodies that only the REV 1.3 of the board could only support.

- XP2200+ Support

- High Point 2.32 Official Drivers Included.

UPDATE!::

Tested with 100% compatibility and its true, the bios allowed me to use an extra MHz on the FSB now 146MHz from 145MHz without loosing stability @ 3.4v or having to disable AGP4X. Memory performance has also improved dramatically.

Well, this is a no brainer, if you have a KT7/A/R motherboard, go and download this bios NOW!, dont sit there and wait and trittle your thumbs because this is well worth your time!

DS-Master

Last edited:
Where you read it has XP2200 support ? Perhaps I am a bit slow, I have been up for 24 hours so go figure :p

Maestro

Full funcitonility of the bios's from the Rev 1.3 board bios

The following is a Bios from Rev 1.3

Version 8T (beta, 13 April 2002; full, 3 May 2002)
For KT7A/KT7A-RAID v1.3 only (identified by version number on bar-coded sticker)
Supports AMD AthlonXP 2100+ and 0.13 process (Thoroughbred) AthlonXP CPU
HPT 37x BIOS version 1.11.0402
BIOS compile date: 4/12/2002

DS-Master

tried to flash this morning but file is a .boo file instead of .bin.any way to change this?

shadowdr said:
tried to flash this morning but file is a .boo file instead of .bin.any way to change this?

Rename the .boo to .bin

The easiest way to flash this new bios is to download the latest Abit KT7 Bios from there website and simply replace there bios file with this one then use there flash utility and it will flash the newer bios instead;)

DS-Master

Well,

The bios has now been flashed and I'm running A9 and it seems to run just fine!

I'm going to conduct a few tests to see if stability has been improved by upping the FSB and MHz of the CPU.

I'd like to note that the XP2200+ Thoroughbred now works flawlessly with the KT7A 1.0~1.3 and the bios even selects 1.65V for the XP2200+ Thoroughbred and 1.50V for the XP1700+ Thoroughbred, pretty neat eh. To see this happen, you need a thoroughbred CPU.

This bios has three CPU modes, Thunderbird/Duron / Palomino / Thoroughbred.

More to come...

DS-Master

1GB Micron Ram

Sandra 2002 Memory Benchmark!

BIOS 7N
133MHz 2-2-2 4-WAY

1001MB/s
1000MB/s

146MHz 2-3-2 4-WAY

1056MB/s
1053MB/s

BIOS A9
133MHz 2-2-2 4-WAY

1004MB/s
1003MB/s

146MHz 2-3-2 4-WAY

1096MB/s
1093MB/s

All tests show that it looks like bios A9 has performance tweaks to the memory controller in the KT133a chipset! It looks like this bios is a winner in my books. Good Luck to all and enjoy the benefits of Abit!

DS-Master

Nope, All XPs XP1500~XP2200 Pally and Thoro have been tested all with success with all KT7A 1.0~.1.2.

That timing issue is still there which is a easy fix, requiring you to hit the reset button once at bootup to allow the motherboard to rework the AthlonXP/Duron timings.

Finally, everyone has ease knowing the XPs will work on there board.

DS-Master

The XP has been compatible since the 64 bios.I don't see any new options in bios so whatever is different must be hidden fixes.all the benchmarks for me have been about the same as the previos bios.

One thing i have noticed is that the reboot holding the delete key no longer boots to default mhz of 1000(or whatever yours boots at)so if you change the fsb to say 145/34 it will still try and boot to that while booting with delete key.(surprisingly enough it booted at that freezing in bios each time)i had to reset c-mos several times, unpluging in between to boot back to default.allthough this points to higher fsb than was before possible i am not willing to risk hd corruption to test it this time.

Last edited:
DS-Master said:

Rename the .boo to .bin

The easiest way to flash this new bios is to download the latest Abit KT7 Bios from there website and simply replace there bios file with this one then use there flash utility and it will flash the newer bios instead;)

DS-Master

It is b00 (zero) not boo. Use zeroes and the flash utility will find it. I flashed it last night, works fine so far. My last try at an XP was a locked XP 1800. It booted and worked fine at the stock speed, but as soon as I tried to increase the FSB to anything over 133, it wouldn't post! It was for a friends computer, so I don't have it around to try with the new BIOS. But I'm doing an upgrade for another friend, and I'll have another XP 1800 to try in a couple of days. I'll tell you how it goes.

repo man11 said:

It is b00 (zero) not boo. Use zeroes and the flash utility will find it. I flashed it last night, works fine so far. My last try at an XP was a locked XP 1800. It booted and worked fine at the stock speed, but as soon as I tried to increase the FSB to anything over 133, it wouldn't post! It was for a friends computer, so I don't have it around to try with the new BIOS. But I'm doing an upgrade for another friend, and I'll have another XP 1800 to try in a couple of days. I'll tell you how it goes.

So you are saying you had no problems with it at stock setting but try and O/C it and it was a no go :( What revision board do you have 1.0 ? If you get a chance to try and 1900 or higher please advise on that as well. Personally I have a hard time believing that anything above 1.6 ghz or XP1900 would work I could be wrong and will admit it. I mean there are other ABIT boards like the KR7A and AT7 and such having problems with XP 2100 or 2200 compatibility problems.. Someone has to show concrete evidence to me to think otherwise. I dunno I just think Abit dropped the ball on this one and that is where is stands.

Maestro

Is abit likely to release this bios?

Or is it a hacked version?

Anyone got any links with some info about the bios?

I got it from Paul's, and the other info I have is from here. It is from Abit, but it isn't an official release. Try at your own risk. Unless you're going to run an XP, I see no reason to use it. If it doesn't allow me to run an XP at least as high as 145 FSB as I can with my T-Bird, then I might just flash back.

Well, i don't have an xp cpu at the moment. I'll wait for the prices to come down a bit. October should be a good time to buy one.

I'm assuming abit will release this bios at some point?

Would seem to be totally contradicting what they've stated in the past about xps running correctly on the 1.0 ~ 1.2 boards.

why the sudden change of heart??

I don't think they'll ever state officially that the XP will work with the 1.0-1.2 boards. But unofficially many people are having good luck. This may never be an official release, but if it allows me to run the FSB at the same speed with an XP as my T-bird, I won't care.

Back