• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP setup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlwnSS

Registered
Ok, just installed:

Epox 8k3a
XP 2000+
Corsair XMS PC3200 512mb

I had 98se on the drive. Deleted old partition, created new, installed XP. (During install, it wouldn't install "setupapi.dll", so I skipped it.)

When it goes to boot, it has a fatal system error (c000021a) and then shuts down.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Rick

maybe your cd is scratched i had a problem with installing windows 2000 i had to skip a file and it didnt work right so i had to get a new copy and everything worked fine.

True that could be due to a scratched cd...

In my experiences, anytime you skip a file during setup, you will have problems. You may want to just simply clean the surface of the cd off, and try again.

...also could be something with the drive setup. You mentioned having win98se, backup your data, boot from a 98 boot disk, fdisk /mbr, fdisk to create your partition and to set a partition(usually your primary dos) to active. Run winnt from the i386 directory on the cd in dos(will want to run smartdrv from 98cd first), or boot from the cd to install. Should be able to convert to ntfs if you want during setup.

Last edited:
Back