• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 install NVME GPT Partition style???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I have installed 2 windows 10 OS in the last 5yrs. The curse of "use it or loose it" is in full effect on my 56yrs old brain. So this new build for my church is going well using Ryzen 5 3400G 32gb ram and Samsung Evo 970 + I reformatted the NVME after I blew my OS to the Sabrent I am currently enjoying. I assumed that the regular Win 10 format would easily allow me to install a fresh copy of Wind 10 on this new build using my old NVME drive?

Q. Do I just "delete" the 930.5 Gb partition and then reformat it? To allow win 10 to install?

Q. What am I doing wrong?

I wanted to ask the experts before I proceeded further.

New build: Asus B450-I Gaming Strix, Ryzen 5 3400G, 32G Corsair Vengeance 4000Mz, 800w PSU Win 10 USB stick.

Any help is greatly appreciated, but tech snobbery is not!

Attachments

• 20210118_120156_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20210118_120156_copy_1008x756.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210118_120141_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20210118_120141_copy_1008x756.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 87
Not sure if this will help but I usually delete all partitions on the drive one by one then format. With all those partitions it looks like it has some leftovers on it. Hope it helps.

I 3rd that.. delete them all, format, then let Windows do its thing. :)

Make sure you have the latest version (get it MS Media creation tool and put it on USB).

Yes this. I was just coming back to edit my post to say this. I tried to use an older MS installer I had and it caused me all kinds of driver install issues after. Do the USB installer on an old USB drive to make things super easy.

Thanks fellas! Win 10 installed successfully! Easier than i thought. I still remember how long it took with DVDs and this copy is on a USB drive in a USB 3.0 port and waahhlah! Nice! thank you all again for the excellent expert help! I love OCF!

*edit...maybe this thread will help other people with the same inexperience?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just bought a OCF tee shirt!! WaHooo!

If the old partition was a MBR partition and the Boot Option in the BIOS is set on UEFI XXXXXXX (X's is drive model) then you will get the message you got in your 1st post. To use the MBR type you would need to change that setting to legacy setting.

1st setting in pic is the UEFI type and 2nd setting is Legacy setting.

bootopt.jpg

Ditto. If the bios is pre UEFI or if it is configured to legacy then the installer would need to partitioned in MBR and not GPT. A UEFI bios can detect a MRB installer but a legacy bios will not be able to detect a GPT installer. In other words, UEFI is backwards compatible with MRB. Also, some older computers are not able to use a USB installer period and so you must use an optical disk installation.

Back