• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer making sounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slim_lim

I've been experiencing this annoyance for a few years. My sound card outputs a sort of a buzz. When I do anything on the computer, the buzz changes pitch. At high volumes I can hear it change when I move the mouse, access the hard drive or cd-rom, scroll a web page, or even load the CPU with prime95. The doesn't seem to be any malfunction associated with it, but I'm curious what could be causing this?

Sounds as simple as a bad connection ...Faulty speaker wires maybe ...try wiggling them, also try playing with the plug input and see if the pitch in noise changes.If that doesn't work could try changing the PCI slot that your sound card resides in (or manually change the IRQ)and always make sure you have the latest drivers installed ;)

Last edited:
This happens with both my speakers and heaphones. The sound is different for different computer activities. I can tell them apart. Prime95 for example makes this chirping noise. I guess it's just my cheapass SBpci128 soundcard -- but how the heck can other components affect it's output? Or maybe it's the power supply?

SB 128 should nto be doin that, I has a similar SB card in my old comp and it never had probs like this, and SB is a good brand. have you tried reformatting? also, test the card in a friends machine or something.

Sounds like (ha!) your speakers/amp are picking up the internal radio noise and letting you hear it.

I'd try...

1. Is your case RF insulated? Lotsa cool cases in these here forums have open sides that lets out radio noise.

2. Got speaker cables near your computer? Move 'em around/away.

3. Move sound card in slot / get different card.

I've got an older SB card and don't have this trouble. Some of the music I get out of it doesn't sound very good - but I'm told that has to do with my taste. :)

...Z

i am going to join the club too

i run prime all the time and you can hear it

cherp cherp cherp

im sure you can chalk it up to cheap sound card or the cpu being unsheilded.

i wonder what the effects of grounding the hsf would be?

Back