• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble making bootable CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Im trying to make a bootable cd to flash my bios with, but i cant get it to boot. I have downloaded several boot images from bootdisk.com, and burned them with nero, but i cant boot from any of them. I either get an invalid system disk error, a disk I/O error, or it just hanges. I got each of those issues with a different boot image. Any tips, maybe a link to an image that has worked for you?

as far as i know you need the files also to be allocated on special parts of the CD, so burning only the imgae file wont do it.

i made a boot cd once sucessfuly from reading Bart's guide located here.

I used EZ CD Creator 5 and an old Win ME boot floppy and it works perfect. Some where on the top bar is a selection for Make Boot Disk. It will prompt you put in a boot floppy which is where it gets its files to make and burn the image.

I dont have a floppy, and i have no intention of getting one. I didnt just burn the image, i used nero using the "cd (boot)" template, and it does boot from it, but it wont load DOS.

WyrmMaster said:
I dont have a floppy, and i have no intention of getting one. I didnt just burn the image, i used nero using the "cd (boot)" template, and it does boot from it, but it wont load DOS.

I know how you feel, I was the same way until I migrated to Win2K and Xp. NT + Raid card = floppy drive :( .

Last edited:
Guero said:
I have found that it really depends on the motherboard. Some bootable CD's will work on one computer, but not another and vice versa. I have not found an all inclusive solution yet.

Here is a thread talking about bootable cds for your enjoyment:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=102639&highlight=bootable+cdrom

I have found that some VIA boards don't like to boot with cd rom support but would with out support and minimal boot. Otherwise most others I have tried are fine.

Guero said:
I have found that it really depends on the motherboard. Some bootable CD's will work on one computer, but not another and vice versa. I have not found an all inclusive solution yet.

Here is a thread talking about bootable cds for your enjoyment:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=102639&highlight=bootable+cdrom

I read that thread and downloaded your image file, but it wont boot from it. It starts to boot, and then says "disk I/O error, replace the disk and press any key."

The only problem is i cant find the ANY key:D:beer:

hehehehe. That ANY key is quite elusive. :D

I used that image and it works great on a few different computers. I burned it using Nero. Do you have the CD-ROM listed as the first bootable in the Bios?

The reason I ask is because I tried booting from a floppy that was listed second and it would not boot. Yet the drive and disk were fine.

Can you get any CD to boot at all? Linux, Win XP, etc.

No problems booting off a windows CD, and it is the first boot device. I used nero to burn it using the bootable cd template. It could be that i didnt finalize the disk, could that make any difference?

Back