• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"... cannot find any bootable devices" a Perplexing and Unacceptable Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

A few weeks ago I did a bios update on an Asus Prime Z490-A. After the update the system would not boot. The bios listed no bootable devices although it clearly saw my C: drive. After all too many hours of fruitless trouble shooting, including reloading the bios, I assumed (incorrectly) something in the bios got irrepairably corrupted as it made no sense that it saw the drive but did not identify it as a bootable device. The drive booted fine in another machine so I was reasonably confident the drive and the W10 install on it were fine (this proved correct). At that point I gave up and, since its been three years since my last new build, I simply decided to accelerate what I already was planning and ordered an Asus Prime Z790, 13900k CPU, DDR5 memory, new case, etc. Today I assembled everything and the same problem occurred.

Again, after trouble shooting all day, I finally found a way of getting the new system to boot. But, I do not at all understand why the solution works and I am not at all happy with it. I eventually got around to checking, the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) under the bios Boot tab. I found it disabled but greyed out so it was not possible to enable it and the UEFI bios. After doing the Google thing, I found a lot of others with a similar problem and someone wrote that by not using the CPU for graphics, and installing a graphic card, the CSM settings were no longer grayed out and it then became possible to launch CSM. So, I installed an EVGA graphics card I happened to have, enabled CSM, and the damn things now boots. Just to see what would happened, I removed the graphics card, the no bootable drive problem returned, and CSM was greyed out and not enabled.

I now have installed a big graphics card with very annoyingly noisy fans and creating a lot of heat I do not need. I do indeed strive for a very fast snappy machine but I do not run games and the Intel CPU graphics serves me fine.

So, what is this all about? My previous three year old Z490 worked fine until I tried to fix something that was not broken by updating the bios. My brand new Z790 has exactly the same issue. The i9-13900K CPU has integrated graphics (as did the previous i9-10900k) but it does not appear the intergrated CPU graphics is usable if one wants to boot into Windows (this cannot be right). Obviously, I am missing something and getting more and more annoyed as the Geforce GTX fans loudly fill my otherwise silent office with noise.

I would certainly appreciate some advice. At this point I do not know enough to do much more than only explain the problem but I have to believe there must be a way to use the CPU's integrated graphics feature as I have done for years.

OK, I found the problem. See the following two links.

It appears, quoting the second link above: "The Intel® 500 series chipset does not support UEFI VBIOS graphic card, hence the integrated graphics mode does not support legacy boot and CSM option becomes non-configurable".

I saw some other references that seemed to justify Intel and Microsoft not having a need to continue to support legacy devices but I do not know enough for that to make sense to me. What I do now know is the latest greatest CPU (as all previous Intel CPUs) has integrated graphics that I cannot use if I want to boot into Windows. This just does not wash in my head. Why then do they bother to include the graphics when most everyone uses Windows?

Would this problem exist if one did a clean W10 install?

Would this problem exist if one did a clean W10 install?
Either install OS drive in GPT format or convert your current MBR OS drive to GPT format if you want to use the iGPU.

Info from your 2nd link.

Your only option is to use the GPT/UEFI way of booting – if you want to use the integrated graphics.

If you don’t know the difference, check out my explanation of BIOS vs. UEFI and MBR vs. GPT here: Convert your Windows 10 boot drive from MBR to GPT

Back