• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mother Board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cycododge

Not quite sure if this is the right place to post...

For this system...

WinXP
450Mhz (i believe) Katmai P3,
Geforce 2 Ti 128 DDR 250Mhz

Would I rather use Mobo 1 or Mobo 2?

Mobo 1:

(Some Slot 1 Intel board)
4x AGP
3 DIMM
Can't OC (+ I'm not good at it)

or Mobo 2:

(Soyo SY-6BA+)
2x AGP
4 DIMM
Easy to OC

I think thats it...

what are you asking? do you want to put that pentium 2 450 into a mobo. If so i would recomend buying an athlon bundle deal. Otherwise you will be paying for an inferior system. plus, an athlon bundle wont cost you much more.

Actually, my question is basically, which would be better? The ability to overclock the P3 and have a smaller AGP pipe, or, to not be able to overclock it, and have a larger AGP pipe line. And since Windows XP performance relies heavily on the graphics card in some cases, I'm not sure which I want. I would love to go buy an AMD and a new board, but I'm working with what I have.

The boost from an increase in FSB will push the AGP speed higher so you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between 2x and 4x.

David

do you have the name of the intel board that you are looking at so that we can compare better?

I wish I did. I'm in AZ (From WA) and I'm trying to get my dad to send me the board. My friend already has it all packaged up for me and ready to send. If you want to wait a week, I can tell you then. Sorry.

are they both free, get them both.

also i would assume that the intel board is better because it has 4x agp(its a newer board). It probably has a better chipset.

You have to be able to over clock that board, does it have fixed freqeuncy settings and multiplier settings otherwise you can.

Actually I only have my choice of one board. I already have the Intel board, which is a SE440BX-2 (just found out) and I can switch it with the Soyo. And as far as I know, everything on the Intel is fixed. Thats why I'm curious as to which board is the better choice.

I guess this is as good a place as any to post

I 'm also need some input on MB's

I'm gonna get a AMD Athlon 1600xp and was looking at Gigabyte's GA7DX or GA 7VRX
I've had good luck with my last Gigabyte MB
One of the questions I need ask is what chipset to use some people like via, apollo, sis
ALso who knows a good computer lingo site
I need to know what a "FDD port" is-FIREWIRE?
AMR-"Audio Modem Riser?
Codec?
Any suggestions will be appreciated Thanks.:D

i prefer VIA, but get the newest chipset you can, i think it is the kt333 and maybe kt400 a little later, it i got the neams correct.

FDD= Floppy disk drive- not firewire, similar to an ide port but smaller

AMR= it is a small brown pci/agp type connector for use with onboard modems and sound.

codec= the instructions for your computer to decode or encode sound/video such as a divx codec or an mpeg codec

Thanks Brant
I been looking at the KT333 chipset, but I'm a little confused on the info I found about it,them ummm I went to www.tomshardware.com from a link at newegg.com, Ok the review said it's a great chipset but it does not support USB2.0 I also went to the chipset link specs at newegg and the specs say it supports USB1.1 didn't mention USB2.0 or firewire
The specs say the motherboard has 2 ports for USB2.0 BUT does not actually say they are supported.
I did e-mail gigabtye asking them about it but still have not heard back from them?

the mobo might have a seperate usb2.0 chip that controls thoes two ports

Hey Brant
Yeah I read that comparison chart and it does say the KT333 USB is supported , but what I was confused about is the article(on tomshardware) saying it was not, and if you go to newegg.com look up Giga MB with the Kt333 chipset it says only USB1.1 supported ??

But either way I'm gonna get the the GA7VRXP with the KT333 set

That KT400 chipset looks good but I don't think it's out til the fall the review said.

Sorry Cyclododge for highjacking your post.
I'd go with the BX2 that way you can always change up the CPU which a 850mhz is really cheap now!!

Back