• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual XP (good stepping) vs Dual MP (unknown stepping)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QSW

I am going to build a Dual AMD rig. I intend to get the MSI board. But rt now I have to decide between getting 2 XP 1600 (AGOIA or AROIA stepping, both multi and L5 unlocked) for $155 vs 2 MP 1600 from a local store for $195 ( I will only see the stepping after I pay for the CPUs) . I intend to overclock, so shd I go for the XP with more or less guaranteed overclockability or the MP with guaranteed stability and unknown overclockability?

I'd get the XP's. I've built several duals with XP's and haven't had a single stability problem using XP's. (One K7D Master, one K7D Master-L, one Tyan Tiger MP)

I've got some AROIA stepping Xp1600's and some AGOIA. My AROIA get 1800 MHz at default voltage, while the AGOIA will only do around 1730-1750 at default voltage. I would suggest trying to get the AROIA, but either one will be a good choice.

^_^ i've got twin aroia-y week 13 greenies just itching to be slapped into a k7d-L, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT i have to wait for my old apt manager to send me my fraggin check for $940....

-_-"

the wait is endless

1) Ya, why not newegg for $106??

2) With only the price difference you mentioned .... I might be tempted to go with the MPs. You can check around to see if this is still true, but I ?THINK? the mps are already multi UNLOCKED, so you don't need to do ANY mods to the chips ......

3) also, the MSI (dual boards in general) I think top out at 150 FSB, so its not like you need the most OCable chip possible, you're NOT running an abit or epox overvolted and at 210 FSB. :)

The price for the 2 XPs include the fee for unlocking the multipliers, the L5 mod and shipping. I was hoping to get at least 1700mhz out of the XPs and hopefully close to 1800 mhz. As for the MPs, it's dependant on luck as to what stepping the CPUs will be. Some ppl told me that MPs generally will overclock well becos AMD picked the better cores to be certified for smp. The $40 price difference does not really matter, but I will be really sad to pay a $40 premium for the MPs and get stuck with 2 bad overclcokers. It seems like a lot of ppl are not experiencing stability or bootup problems using 2 XPs on the MSI K7D-L. So I will keep my fingers crossed that I will get 2 ARIOA stepping XP1600 :)

QSW said:
I am going to build a Dual AMD rig. I intend to get the MSI board. But rt now I have to decide between getting 2 XP 1600 (AGOIA or AROIA stepping, both multi and L5 unlocked) for $155 vs 2 MP 1600 from a local store for $195 ( I will only see the stepping after I pay for the CPUs) . I intend to overclock, so shd I go for the XP with more or less guaranteed overclockability or the MP with guaranteed stability and unknown overclockability?

The implication AMD tests there MP processors to ensure dual operation is simply PR and has no basis in fact beyond peoples perceptions.

I have never understood this claim nor have I thought it held any merit.ALL AMD Processors from the K-6 series up are glueless.

Glueless refers to a processors ability to communicate with other processors without special "glue" to tie them all together.{thanks 2cpu.com}

Because of this manufacturing ability built in to the processors all AMD ever needed was A DUAL MOTHERBOARD.

If you want to OC your dual get the best stepping in the XP series processors that oc well, connect the L5 if that stepping has it cut and you will have a slamming system for a ton less money.....

Back