• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinkin about a Volcano II...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bruce

Registered
Hi all, recently got an Iwill KK266 and T-Bird 850, haven't done any real overclockin' yet, but I was thinkin about geting a new cooler. I stole the 50mm fan that came with the stock cooler and mounted it to my case to exhaust by the CPU, and traded an old sound card for a Mini-Orb (I think I got jipped) with a buddy. The orb is not very impressive and I was thinkin' bout gettin a Volcano and later strappin a 7K fan to it for some serious overclockin' any suggestions or thoughts? (BTW-I have a Full Size tower case with a 36cfm 80mmSunon Intake, and the stock 80mm exhaust and the fan from my stock Hsf 50mm exhaust by the CPU)

PS-not really interested in H2O or peltiers (yet)

If you are trying to hold down your costs on the HSF, consider the Vantec FCE-62540. They are going for around $15-$19 and offer a good value when considering price versus performance. Else, consider the GlobalWin FOP-32 ($18), though the Vantec has a more foolproof clip system. If price is not such a limiting factor, then the GlobalWin CAK-38 or Taisol 760092 with the Delta 38cfm fan are better investments in the future. Lastly, If you have really deep pockets, get the Swiftech MC-462A. Top performer which will outlast just about any CPU you will buy and the mounting system is second to none.

Hoot

The temp. diffrence between the Vantec FCE62540D and the GW FOP-32 is only 2C, the clip on the Vantec is the best out and its heatsink will fit any MOBO. The bottom of the heatsink is not the smoothest, but w/ alittle lapping it performs admirably.

Thanks for the help guys, but the Volcano performs exactly the same as the Vantec with a 7K fan, and right now, I'm not interested in something REALLY loud, maybe if I put some Dynamat on the inside of my case, but that would present another cooling problem, the global win looked really interesting, but I've heard horror stories about Global Win's clipping mechanism, and I haven't seen a recent review of it, I used [H]ard OCP's 5/01 Performance Cooler roundup as a guide, If you have some better/more accurate scores I'd appreciate them, but so far the Volcano looks the best to my wallet and ears... Again thanks...

bruce (May 27, 2001 07:15 p.m.):
Thanks for the help guys, but the Volcano performs exactly the same as the Vantec with a 7K fan, and right now, I'm not interested in something REALLY loud, maybe if I put some Dynamat on the inside of my case, but that would present another cooling problem, the global win looked really interesting, but I've heard horror stories about Global Win's clipping mechanism, and I haven't seen a recent review of it, I used [H]ard OCP's 5/01 Performance Cooler roundup as a guide, If you have some better/more accurate scores I'd appreciate them, but so far the Volcano looks the best to my wallet and ears... Again thanks...

get a nonconductive shim as an insurance policy, i know it not the best for cooling, but it is a huge insurance policy.

Back