• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few problems-I need your help guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich_T

Hey all,

well last wednesday night I think I downloaded a bad programme because when I restarted my pc I could not get back into windows, so I was left with no choice other then to formatt my harrdrive- the worse thing is I never backed up nothing :(

Anyway, I'm back set-up now but I got a few problems. First my hardrive is only running at only ATA33, how can I change it?

Also I'm now running win2000 Pro, is there any way to take off that logging window that appears during the start-up?

In the bottom right of the screen (where the time is) I cant get back the display screen option, anyone know how?

I would appriciate any help you can give me, thankyou :)

Rich_T

for password go to control panel/users and password and deselect the check box that says " users must enter a password to use this computer" write down the password you now use for administrator and keep it someware

for the drive R click on my computer/manage/device manager/IDE ATAPI/ATA controllers go to primary IDE channel and properties and advanced and select DMA if available and reboot.
that may be it it also may be the detection in the bios: check and make sure that everything is on auto

the display screen option should be something that comes from/is placed from your videodriver software, check that out

but you can just rclick anywhare on your blank desktop/properties and get your display options

Thanks for the reply turd, everything is working good now apart from the hardrive still running at ATA33, anyone have any other suggestions?

Also the computers memory keeps displaying a kb not mb in windows, what can I do to change this?

Thankyou

Rich_T

How is your HD plugged into the moboard? Do you have the CD rom attatched to the same IDE cable? If so its goin to run at ATA 33 no matter how fast your HD is...(most things are backwards compatible..if you have a slower speed plugged in and its shared like memory, etc its goin to run at the lowest common denominator) So make sure you have your harddrive connected as master in the primary IDE slot and there are no other devices other than maybe another HD connected to it. If that doesn't fix it, check the cable to see if it is an UDMA cable. If its not, it will run at ATA 33....if you're not sure what a UDMA cable looks like just run over to compusa or something and compare your cable with the UDMA cable they have...if yours looks thicker then that is probably the problem. Hopefully that fixes it.

Hey Rich...

What was the programme you D'loaded? if its a corrupted free/shareware it could be useful for everyone to know about it- but it could just be a one off though.

Check your IDE cable make sure it is 80 wire , Make sure that the blue end is in MB the gray(middle) for slave and black for master. Jump your drive/other as CS.

Yep everything is set-up ok (hardrive and cd-rom on diffrent channels) but when my computer starts up I get the message '80 pin conductor cable not found', I think I may need a new cable.

T.Toy the programme I downloaded was off a broardband tweaking site- I thhink it currupted my registry :(

Thanks for your help

Rich_T

Back