• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dial up and folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

okay, I'm going to start folding hopefully this weekend (finally! :D) after I get the modem. But, I'm dialup, so I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, can I download multiple WUs in one time? That way, I won't have to keep dialing up every time one is done. Just download multiple, fold them, and then send them back. Would that work?

And, with dialup, does the program/client dialup automatically? Or does it just wait until you're online to download/send WUs?

TO my knowledge there is no way to cache work units. And to answer your other question, the client can be setup to either wait til your online or have it connect automatically.

Garfield said:
okay, I'm going to start folding hopefully this weekend (finally! :D) after I get the modem. But, I'm dialup, so I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, can I download multiple WUs in one time? That way, I won't have to keep dialing up every time one is done. Just download multiple, fold them, and then send them back. Would that work?

And, with dialup, does the program/client dialup automatically? Or does it just wait until you're online to download/send WUs?

nope, no way to cache/download lots of units at a time.

about the dialing... the client does not do it automatically but you can make it auto-dial if you wish, otherwise if will wait to send/recieve when you connect.

HERE ARE a few autodialing guides for your particular OS if you wish to go that route!

oh yeah....
WELCOME TO THE TEAM

FOLD ON
NAS

I think I"m going to have to auto-dail, because I'm at school during the week and I dont' want to waste time NOT folding! :D

btw, what is the difference between your "score" and "wus"? I know of working units, but what does the folders score consist of? just curious...

Garfield said:

Yes you can. If you've much ram (which is very cheap now), you can run multiple folding clients from different directories. (just remember to download every client individually from Stanford...).

Running multiple folding clients (with one WU each) rises the completing time of a single WU, which is actually queuing WUs. Dunno though will they be completed just at the same time. So you might need somehow to synchronize it if you want to save on phone bill.

Garfield said:
I think I"m going to have to auto-dail, because I'm at school during the week and I dont' want to waste time NOT folding! :D

btw, what is the difference between your "score" and "wus"? I know of working units, but what does the folders score consist of? just curious...

a WU is a single protein that the client downloads and and process or "folds", each WU has a pt value, that is where the score column comes in :)

you can see the pt values of the current'y running proteins here

FOLD ON
NAS

okay, another question. say i have it on auto-dial and i only have one phoneline, which i do. okay, so the folding finished and it needs to send that one done and get another one. so it dials, right? but what happens if somebody is on the phone? will it stop dialing? and then retry after x minutes? or will it just waste time until i get home and then have to manually dial up?

Garfield said:
okay, another question. say i have it on auto-dial and i only have one phoneline, which i do. okay, so the folding finished and it needs to send that one done and get another one. so it dials, right? but what happens if somebody is on the phone? will it stop dialing? and then retry after x minutes? or will it just waste time until i get home and then have to manually dial up?

i'm not quite sure about this, if you can set it to try x amount times for x amount of minutes. that would be the best solution, maybe someone has done the same thing, not sure though.

FOLD ON
NAS

NASsoccer said:

i'm not quite sure about this, if you can set it to try x amount times for x amount of minutes. that would be the best solution, maybe someone has done the same thing, not sure though.

FOLD ON
NAS

Yeah, there is a setting somewhere in your dialup settings that lets you do this. And there should be a check box somewhere that tells it to not try dialing if there is no dialtone.

okay, I have another question about dial up (sorry to beat a dead horse here :D). Okay, say I'm not in the room. It auto dials and uploads old/downloads new WU and then it's done...does it automatically disconnect when it's done? An option for that?

Thanks! :)

Garfield said:
okay, I have another question about dial up (sorry to beat a dead horse here :D). Okay, say I'm not in the room. It auto dials and uploads old/downloads new WU and then it's done...does it automatically disconnect when it's done? An option for that?

Thanks! :)

yep! set it to disconnect after X amount of minutes of idling or no activity, usually around 5 good.

oh yeah, if there is a check box for 'do not ask to diconnect' check that too!

FOLD ON
NAS

Back