• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You guys think I'm smart enough to build my own computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

Okay, thinking about getting building a new rig next summer, was just wondering if I should build one myself or buy a Dell.

I work as a systems analyst for my university so I have some experience in the networking and software area. Also did some hardware upgrading and stuff.

This is what I have done before many times.
Installed
1) a new hard drive.
2)sound card
3) vid card
4)NIC
5)Memory sticks
6)windows NT, 2k Pro and Adv. Server (Both manual install and net auto rebuild).
7) CD?DVD drives
[Vader]All too easy![/Vader]

BUT

I haven't done much work with installing the actual processors. I mean, I have tried practicing on on old PII rig I see the chip but its stuck really good. I guess its glued to the mobo.

I'm sure that the PSU will not be that hard to put in and setting the fans and wires. What you think? Thanks. :D

Building a pc is actually very easy, none of us guys would make half the money we make on the side if the public at large knew just HOW easy it truly is.

You should have no problems, and if you do, there are numerous thread to help you TS it. Good luck !!!

Right, I figured it wouldn't be that hard. I'm just a bit nervous about installing the processor in the mobo. Hoping that I don't screw anything up. :)

PS, what I have always done before was purchase a cheap computer from the classifieds and just upgrade it myself. So this would be the first time I will be building a computer froms stratch.

sounds like you're all set. i'd say if you're not sure just read the directions or look online. or if you think you're sure, read em anyways. =)

i threw this fan (mcx370 ) in my dad's case about a month ago, and of course was too lazy to read the directions. :beer: went to boot it up and it wouldnt get past post. i was like, WTF!!!!!! oh, says in the directions to back the screws out to 1/16" so the springs were at maximum force. woops. just glad i didnt fry the damn thing.

Building a machine isn't that much harder than what you have already done. About the only nerve wracking part can be putting the heatsink on the mobo. This really depends on the heatsink. Some are pretty easy to install and some are a real pain. I installed a globalwin cak-II 38 and that thing was INSANE how much pressure was needed to get the clip on.

I guess if you are worried about that ask around for what heatsink fans are easy to install in your price range.

If computers don't scare you then you really wont have any trouble putting one together. You have already done most of the stuff invloved on previous occasions and you will get all the help you need here. You will feel good once you are working on a pc you got all the parts for and put together yourself. Have fun :D

It was not a problem taking the stock fan off the old PII. :) I'll definitely check into which fans are easier to put in. Thanks.

It will be a P4 system. I will buy the chip retail and use the stock fan that come with it since I'm not going to overclock it. I will use two other fans in the case though.

You guys think I'm smart enough to build my own computer?
well my question is? are you dumb enough not too? lol jk

anyhow if you have the patience for software this will be a breeze.just read everything and dont rush.double check all connections before power up.

with all you have done dont worry. we all were asking our selves the same question when we decided to build our first pc.actually now i fear no pc build! well kinda fear but not scared. anyhow its becouse i have about 5-10,000 pc technitions i can ask questions and if i still cant do it they will draw me pictures.lol

if you ever run into a problem we are here. and soon you will be giving answers more then asking questions.

actually i think you have the hardest part down. software installs give me more nightmares than anything and most time consuming.i spent 48 hours total on my first rig just getting windows on my raid drives.everything else was cake.

Ooh, yeah, RAID and SCSI controllers are a bit tricky to set up.

Most of the time, I just breezed thru the manual for the hardware stuff and it was easy enough.

But I have shopped around at NEWEGG and see that a lot of the chips/mobos come with a manual, which is a plus, :D

PS, I'm in college but my parents are always bugging me to get a DELL instead of building a rig. I'm like "Mom, stop listening o that Dell twerp, ok?"

I admit, I've thought about it, but for what I wanted and needed, it was just too expensive to get it from Dell.

Built my first rig in college too. Was funny the audience that gathered by the end of it in my dorm room :cool:

Anyways its a good move building your own. Dell is alright for the price if they have what ya want. The best part about building your own system is putting in the exact components you want though. Plus its FUN! :)

go for it man, you'll be pleased when you discover how easy it is, heck i've built 4 in the last 6 months with no problems to speak of....I started out with very little knowledge but it's pretty much self explanatory.

Right, I figured it wouldn't be that hard. I'm just a bit nervous about installing the processor in the mobo. Hoping that I don't screw anything up.

Processors nowadays will only go in one way. All you have to do is drop it into the socket - if it doesn't go in, spin it 90 degrees, and try again!

PCs are like that. If you gotta force it, it probably doesn't fit that way!

Dark Disciple said:
Building a pc is actually very easy, none of us guys would make half the money we make on the side if the public at large knew just HOW easy it truly is.

What are you telling him for? I hope you didn't tell anyone else!;)

Get a dell they Pwn any computer that you can possibly build by yourself, they have very high quality parts and each system is handmade so that it is completely optimised for its parts, which requires more knowledge than you can ever know unless you're a computer engineer

edit: that is what dumb people think

Last edited:
build it yourself thatway you know exactly what parts are going in it. You can choose the exact spec and brands you want. The forums are your friend we can help you with building if you need us also we can help tell you the good brands to go for and hopefully you'll come out a lot better than buying a dell or whatever.

piece of cake. Just beware of static eletrcity. You don't want to shock the sucker. Read the manual and don't forget to wire your powerswitch to the mobo. Most people ask me how come my computer won't turn on??? uhh did u put the powerswitch wire in the mobo? whats that? well its that lil small wire i believe has 3 pins. Well good luck!

Back