• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TFT Screens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndyH8

Registered
Hi.
Just got the Sony SDM-X82 TFT screen.
Just wondered if the vertical refresh rates in any way affect the pixel response time. The Sony site states that the monitor has a rise time of 10ms and a fall of 20ms. Is this ok for gaming. I understand that that is not exactly slow in general terms but am having a bit of trouble adapting to the different way the screen displays images.
Thanks
Andy

Well the only way you'll know if it's okay is if you try it yourself. Some people might say it's way too slow, others might be just fine with it. It's more of a personal thing, so if you can put up with it then it's okay.
In general though, TFT screens can't refresh as fast as CRTs, so that should be something to consider, and since they have a slower fall time, then high motion scenes don't look as good, but like I said it's up to you to decide that.

Omega Destroyer said:
Well the only way you'll know if it's okay is if you try it yourself. Some people might say it's way too slow, others might be just fine with it. It's more of a personal thing, so if you can put up with it then it's okay.
In general though, TFT screens can't refresh as fast as CRTs, so that should be something to consider, and since they have a slower fall time, then high motion scenes don't look as good, but like I said it's up to you to decide that.

Ghosting is no longer an issue with newer screens.
No matter what display you're using you need to try setting it the highest possible refresh rate in order to get the best use out of it.

thanks

yeah thanks for your answers. I'm getting used to my new screen

Captain Slug said:

Ghosting is no longer an issue with newer screens.
No matter what display you're using you need to try setting it the highest possible refresh rate in order to get the best use out of it.

I beg to differ having just received my Viewsonic VX900 w/ <25ms response times. Games are playable but a far cry from being "no longer an issue"

my suggestion, go to www.monitorsdirect.com, they are one of the few that don't charge a restocking fee if you want to send it back simply because you don't like it. Bye bye vx900...

monitor

Yeah.
Overall their not as good for games. But their size is awesome and their desktop performance if you get a top spec screen is absolutely super. Games are also not too bad if you give yourself time to adjust to the way the display works.
ANdy

I have seen someone play games on a TFT of 25ms...I thought it was dandy...im sure there are some at 25ms that look hella worse than others - but that overall crispness of colour and general look I would go for if I was to buy a new monitor these days...

yeah CRT may have this edge on games - but I have a 19" sure I love it, but its huge and produces ALOT of heat...I turn my radiator off in my room as that more than passes as a substitute

For LCDs, I guess it all depends on whether or not you buy a quality display (ex Sony, Samsung, etc). My Samsung is awesome for games in all facts - it looks better than my CRT (also a Samsung) but sucks because it is only 15 in.

My CRT kicks a** in the fact that is 19 in - other than that, it cant hold a candle to the depth of the color from my LCD.

If your going to be gaming and have mucho dollars, get 19in LCD from a quality manufacturer and you shouldnt be disappointed

I Have an 18 inch Sony with a 30ms response. the colours and clarity are unreal. Expensive but wow!
Andy

Back