• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black monitor screens / tower fans crank to high / must hit psu switch to turn o

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R_Benson14

Registered
** move/remove this post if it is in the wrong discussions thread. I apologize in advance if so**

Alright, so I built my PC about a month ago. First issue was immediately not receiving display on my monitors. After getting that fixed, everything worked like a dream. A few weeks later, both of my monitors went black, while my tower was still on, and the fans turned up to max speed. I tried hitting the reset button, but got no response. Same with the power button. The only way to kill the power was to hit the switch on the PSU. After turning it back on, my display showed back up. Over the course of the past 2 weeks, it has been happening randomly. 1 time while using the Internet, and 6 times while in a game (5 times in modern warfare, and 1 time in rocket league). I tried installing the most recent drivers, and even used “EZ UPDATE” through AI Suite III to check for a bios update, but it states there are no updates for my bios. My CPU temps never rise above 65c, and my GPU temps never rise above 70c. I never get the “blue screen of death” either. Does anyone know what the issue might be? Below is a list of my parts.

- MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
- GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060
- CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
- RAM: T-Force 8gb (x2)
- PSU: Corsair 750w Gold+

What did you change to fix the first issue of not having a display on the monitors?

Otherwise it sounds like a bad motherboard, but its impossible to know for sure. Do you have access to another socket AM4 system that you could use to test components?

Im not convinced this is hardware...

What does the event viewer in windows say??? Look up that info and it should give you a general idea on why it failed...

Moved to the General Hardware section from the Forum Feedback section as it definitely doesn't belong there.

What did you change to fix the first issue of not having a display on the monitors?

Otherwise it sounds like a bad motherboard, but its impossible to know for sure. Do you have access to another socket AM4 system that you could use to test components?

All I did was smash the delete button repeatedly and my bios popped up and then my monitors worked normally after that. I do not have access to another AM4 system.

Im not convinced this is hardware...

What does the event viewer in windows say??? Look up that info and it should give you a general idea on why it failed...

At first I was receiving an error from ESENT, stating that there was an incorrect path for the edb.log file. I corrected the path and no longer receive that error. That still didn’t solve the issue though. The only thing that stays consistent, is the error and sometimes warning, stating that the thumbprint xxxxxx is about to expire or already expired. Other than that I get no information on why it crashes.

Moved to the General Hardware section from the Forum Feedback section as it definitely doesn't belong there.

Thank you very much, and I apologize. I’m currently accessing this forum through an app on my iPhone called “Tapatalk”.

After a few more days of research, and failed attempts at troubleshooting this issue, I have resorted to a full system reset. Hopefully this will tell me If it was a software issue, or if it’s a hardware issue. I’ll post an update after a week or two. Thank you to everyone who has replied so far.

Update: after system reset, everything was running fine. I had ran multiple games for a few hours this past week, and then while I was playing modern warfare just now, it shut off on me. No excessive temperatures or loads on the CPU or GPU. Monitors shut off, fans in my tower cranked on high and lights stayed on. Power button and reset button were unresponsive. Only way to shut if off was to hit the PSU switch. I checked the event viewer, and there were no error codes.

The last programs I installed before the crash were overwatch, world of Warcraft, and wallpaper engine from steam. I uninstalled wallpaper engine. More updates coming soon.

I have received 4 errors in the past 2 hours... Two errors say

“Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll”

And the other two say

“Faulting application name: Runtimebroker.exe
Faulting module name: SettingsEnvironment.Desktop.dll”

You did not mention anything about your storage in your first post where you listed components. Spinner? SSD? How old is the system storage device. Is it brand new or re-purposed from a previous build?

Neither did you give sufficient details about your RAM. What frequency is the RAM rated for and what frequency are you running it at? Is the RAM or the CPU overclocked? Have you tested the RAM with say memtest86?

It sounds to me like your file system could be experiencing corruption.

You did not mention anything about your storage in your first post where you listed components. Spinner? SSD? How old is the system storage device. Is it brand new or re-purposed from a previous build?

Neither did you give sufficient details about your RAM. What frequency is the RAM rated for and what frequency are you running it at? Is the RAM or the CPU overclocked? Have you tested the RAM with say memtest86?

It sounds to me like your file system could be experiencing corruption.

I have a WD Blue HDD 1TB, and a SanDisk SSD 1TB, both brand new from Newegg. I built this system on November 18th of this year, so it’s just over a month old. I am about to hop on my computer right now so I can get you that information about my RAM. As far as I can tell, neither my RAM nor my CPU is over locked. I have never tried to over clock it and on NZXT CAM, it doesn’t read that either one of them are over locking. I have not tried memtest86 yet.

"Overclocked," not "overlocked" Overclocking is about manipulating voltage, frequency and other settings in order to make a CPU, GPU or RAM run faster than they are rated for out of the factory.

Check to see what frequency the RAM is rated for and what frequency your system is actually running it at. Concerning the latter, you can check that in bios. Or, in Windows you can check both with a free app called CPU-z. In CPU-z, look under the tab labeled "Memory" to get the current operating frequency and the tab labeled "SPD" to get the rated (XMP) frequency and timings.

In fact, why don't you just do an image capture of those two tabs and attache them with your next post. Use Windows Snipping Tool to crop the images and then attach them using the "Go Advanced" button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

"Overclocked," not "overlocked" Overclocking is about manipulating voltage, frequency and other settings in order to make a CPU, GPU or RAM run faster than they are rated for out of the factory.

Check to see what frequency the RAM is rated for and what frequency your system is actually running it at. Concerning the latter, you can check that in bios. Or, in Windows you can check both with a free app called CPU-z. In CPU-z, look under the tab labeled "Memory" to get the current operating frequency and the tab labeled "SPD" to get the rated (XMP) frequency and timings.

In fact, why don't you just do an image capture of those two tabs and attache them with your next post. Use Windows Snipping Tool to crop the images and then attach them using the "Go Advanced" button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

Yes, sorry about that. My iPhone doesn’t like the word “overclock” and corrects it to “over lock”. I will check that and attach images right now.

From the images you attached it is clear that you are running your memory at a slower speed than it is rated for.

If you look at the Memory tab in CPU-z your will see that you are currently running your RAM at a bus speed of 1200 mhz. Double that to get the actual DDR (Double Data Rate) speed which would be 2400 mhz. CPU-z does not report the DDR speed so you have to double it in your head to get the actual operating frequency.

On the other hand, the SPD tab reports that your RAM has an XMP rating of 3200 mhz (1600 doubled). You should be running it at the XMP speed to get the best performance. Ryzen performance is very dependent on RAM speed. In your bios there is a section for Memory frequency and you should choose the XMP option.

Having said all that, this change may not have any impact on your presenting problem but it might. Wouldn't hurt to set the memory voltage manually to 1.35 just to be sure it's getting what it's supposed to.

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 43
From the images you attached it is clear that you are running your memory at a slower speed than it is rated for.

If you look at the Memory tab in CPU-z your will see that you are currently running your RAM at a bus speed of 1200 mhz. Double that to get the actual DDR (Double Data Rate) speed which would be 2400 mhz. CPU-z does not report the DDR speed so you have to double it in your head to get the actual operating frequency.

On the other hand, the SPD tab reports that your RAM has an XMP rating of 3200 mhz (1600 doubled). You should be running it at the XMP speed to get the best performance. Ryzen performance is very dependent on RAM speed. In your bios there is a section for Memory frequency and you should choose the XMP option.

Having said all that, this change may not have any impact on your presenting problem but it might. Wouldn't hurt to set the memory voltage manually to 1.35 just to be sure it's getting what it's supposed to.

ah ok i see... i will try that and give you an update on this thread after about a week! Thank you for the input so far!

Back