• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yet another, help me choose thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

heres the deal, a client needs another system, heres what he knows he wants:

- P4 2.0ghz
- 256mb RAM (maybe 512 depending on price)
- at least 30gb hard drive
- nic, sound, graphics
- cd-rom (or cd-rw, depending on price)

the system dell (yuck) quoted him was around $1200 i believe, so i've got to beat that (shouldnt be too hard). i usually charge anywhere from 120-150 on these systems for labor/time/support calls later on.

he would also like an LCD if possible, what are the best bang for your buck (cheeeeap) lcd's out there, i havent even really looked at lcd's as they're definately out of my own budget ;)

i've already got a small micro-atx case for him, so if i could use that it'd be great, its also black, so if the drives could be black that'd be a plus, or i suppose i could learn how to paint them...

he's not a gamer, and uses the machine only for car sales stuff (he works at a ford dealership) and the 'net, and email, you know basic stuff.. but he's HELL BENT on getting at least a 2ghz.. :rollseyes:

i was thinking a decent P4 board with onboard nic, sound, video that is micro atx would work best, but what parts would you guys suggest?

John

I'll see what I can come up with. But he's aiming way too high for such simply needs.

One of my clients has his heart set on an LCD and a gaming machine for under $700 and I managed to pull it off through newegg.

Edit: a black CD-RW is $59 while a black CD-ROM is $23

Captain Slug said:
I'll see what I can come up with. But he's aiming way too high for such simply needs.

One of my clients has his heart set on an LCD and a gaming machine for under $700 and I managed to pull it off through newegg.

Edit: a black CD-RW is $59 while a black CD-ROM is $23

oh i know slug, i tried explaing it to him MANY times... my friend paul (who refered this guy to me) said to just smile and take his check, i guess he's very well off and just wants to feel warm and fuzzy and have bragging rights i guess about having a machine like that for basic needs.... who knows

hm.. i forgot about that... im an amd man myself (cheapass) i'll have to look! i'll get back to you

yep slug, i've got a 350w here that has the P4 plugs

Last edited:
Mr. Chambers said:
stupid question alert: is that with or without the lcd?

Tada! Includes LCD (which has integrated speakers) and a copy of XP Home. Still leaving your total shipped and built price around $900-$950.
It has everything except the case.

It has a 6-channel PCI sound card because I've had alot of problems with the reliability of onboard AC'97 audio (and you probably don't want a lot of stupid calls from this guy about it).
The C-Media 8738 sound chipset has been the most reliable from my experience.

wow impressive :) how good is that Nits monitor? i've never heard of them... he could get an envision 15 at staples for.. well i dont really know how much.. pry more.

Mr. Chambers said:
wow impressive :) how good is that Nits monitor? i've never heard of them... he could get an envision 15 at staples for.. well i dont really know how much.. pry more.
I haven't been disappointed when anything newegg offers. hey appearantly test every product hey offer.

Brand won't make a huge difference when he's not using the screen for gaming. All of the LCD components themselves are made by one of four different manufacturers.
But if you want to play it safe and you can get a good deal I recommend buying one locally. That makes returning them alot easier if you get any dead pixels.

couple changes, i guess he doesnt need a keyboard or mouse, he already has those. and i found a P4 power supply here, but i'm using it in an amd rig, so i'll pry just buy that sparkle for him :)

and i've got a cheap sound card here, that i will put in if the onboard gives problems.. what else... oh doesnt need the 56k the dealship has broadband..

i just got off the phone with him, and he has his mind made up on DDR ram.. (only god knows why he'll never use it).. so we'll pry have to swap out that m-atx board for a different one... god he could save SO much cash going duron on this one slug.. how much do you think he could save?

Mr. Chambers said:
god he could save SO much cash going duron on this one slug.. how much do you think he could save?

If he were actually building a PC for what he needs instead of an ego extension he could save upwards of $600

Captain Slug said:

If he were actually building a PC for what he needs instead of an ego extension he could dave upwards of $600

yeah thats what i was thinking... :eh?:

oh well, he's loaded... and i tried... anyways, thx for the help, i'm off to find a decent m-atx board with DDR and all the other features i needed.. thx again slug!

Mr. Chambers said:
yeah thats what i was thinking... :eh?:

oh well, he's loaded... and i tried... anyways, thx for the help, i'm off to find a decent m-atx board with DDR and all the other features i needed.. thx again slug!
I'm updating the list with your new "requirements" ;)

Last edited:
Back