• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman VGA Heatpipe cooler sufficient for R9700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Silliest looking thing I've ever seen. I love my Zalman but it's the bent copper fin design.

Afaik heatpipes only move the problem, they don't solve anything unless you have an extremely tight case (you need the first PCI slot)

First I have seen it. A 120mm fan blowing across the agp port coupled with this might actually be a nice combo.

I believe I read a review of this cooler on that card somewhere, they said it was sufficient for stock, but it would hamper overclocking potential. (I believe it was on frostytech) Also, don't forget that R9700's have a shim around the core that prevents proper contact with the base of the heatsink. ATI solved it with a thick thermal pad, but I have also heard that that particular Zalman is milled to allow proper contact. Don't forget some AS3.....

fusion

I got one on my Ti4200 and i could get higher o/c with it than stock.
Also i think Saphire is using the zalman stuff on some of their retail cards.

wow 14,000 for ti-4200, taht is good for that card, did you hit that score with the zalman on???

I got 14209 with stock cooling and 14232 with the zalman and lower clock on the cpu.
I could run the gpu @ 305 with stock cooling and @ 328 with zalman.

Back