• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are your pipes kinky? :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostmeister

Something I came across in some posts was wrapping cable ties around silicone tubing to stop it kinking. Well, I tried that, and the ties flexed too much, allowing the tube to kink. So, what I came up with was wrapping copper wire round the tubing. If you use thick wire as shown below, it stops the tube flattening out or kinking. I think it looks a little more aesthetic too. And it works out cheaper than cable ties for how many I saw used on the silicone tubing. Just my thoughts anyway.
antikink.jpg

Great idea, and I must say it looks very cool. Just be careful your tubing doesn't contact any of your components.

heheh ya watch your componets or you might end up frying them !!!!!!!!!!!! good idea though

Yeah, the tubing I'm using is cheapo bog standard poly / PVC tubing from B&Q (british DIY store). I've only used it on the loop from cpu to cpu block where there's a tight U bend, and on the loop you saw in the photo, from the res to the pump. The copper wire is actually enamelled, so isn't conductive unless you scratch the coating off with a razor blade. It is a good idea though to keep it away from components as some of you have mentioned. Another variant on this might be using neon string wrapped round the tubes; now if you could get UV neon string wrapped round your tubes, lighting UV reactive dye in your water, that would look cool :D

edit : you could always paint the wire a pretty colour too... /edit

Back