• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Made these on a drill press...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostmeister

Hi. Just thought I'd show you what you can do on a drill press with a little patience. I didn't have a digital camera when I made these, so I only took a quick piccy or two when I re-did the block tops with 1/2 inch BSP fittings and 3mm copper sheet.
cpublocks.jpg

cool, how long did they take?

oh yeh and... how do they perform?

are the things in the background just funky bits or heatspreaders? they look nice.

they would make a good pelitier waterblock. ;);)

They look TINY. Do you have something you could put in the pic to compare the size? Right now they look to me like theyre the size of a quarter.

looks really nice! how did it go on that press?

they are 2x2 blocks I beleve... I was gonna make one with a very similar design a while back, but I just didnt....

good work.

heheh ya excelent job there i bet that did take alot of patience and time and klow i see them to be quite normal as well.... i think you better see someone about that :p

If i'm not mistaken, those are 6" long wavy parallels under the blocks. You could use them to estimate the size. That looks very nice.

on a drill press! the channels are so, so.... linear. I have made a few blocks on a drill press but my bit kept going at an angle, slipping of the walls. what kind of press did you use?

he used end mills, they dont bend like drill bits, and they have flat bottoms for the most part. its a ton different, the entire thing, you cant just plop one into the material or itll break.

Cheers for the responses :) Yeah, I made them on a £39:99 "power tools" bench drill / drill press from B&Q. There's about 10 hours work in the first block, and a fair bit less in the second, after the techniques were "honed" a little bit. JFettig is right, they're about 2" square, roughly 50 x 50mm. 12mm thick, and drilled / milled to create a 3mm base depth. The technique I ised was drilling holes to the depth I needed in the line forming the channels - they're 3mm wide btw - then "joining" the holes with a dremmel tile cutter bit. Once the channels were roughly cut to shape, they were finished off with a 3mm 4 flute end mill.
As for performance, they're working on my twin 2GHz athlon MP rig, with a BeCooling aquacoil (I think the rad's holding back my performance) and an Eheim 1250. The rad fan is a standard YSTech running at 5volts, and the temps are 33 and 35 as I speak, the room temp @19 - 20C. The temps are read from the on die sensors btw.

I just thought I'd put in a mention about the "crinkly" copper bits in the background. They're sheet copper bent into that shape to go inbetween the pipes in a heatercore style radiator. I'm still working on the radiator, but will probably leave out the "crinkles". It's taking aaaaaaaages to make, and has sat on the side gathering dust for a while - my father died just before christmas, right after I posted about making this radiator - so now it looks like nothing's materialising on this radiator, when I've actually just been busy with other stuff. Anyway, rambling on aside, I will make the radiator, and post on how it performs. I've got a few nice photos of various stages already. I'm just at the stage where I'm making the end header tanks / plenum chambers / whatever they're called.

Back