• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 pumps joined with a "Y", good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut581

Guys, my eheim 1048 couldn't cut it anymore .. so I'm planning to get a maxijet 1200 and combine both pumps output with a Y adapter, but not sure whether this will increase the flow ..??

note: I'm cooling my CPU, northbridge, and GPU using TC-4, neomoses GF4 block and dangerden discontinued NB block ..

Maybe a better solution would be to run two independent circuits, one for the CPU and the other for the GPU and NB. Having both pumps in the same circuit will mean that the weaker pump will be working against the stronger pump.

as well if one pump is stronger then the other - i don't think this will help, as the weaker one will just get over taken by the flow of the larger one, you would, i assume, need 2 equal pumps.

Better to hook them up in serial. Weaker pump feeding the stronger pump. Do not hook them up in parallel (with a Y) if they are of imbalance flow types. In fact, don't hook them up with a Y period even if they are. Hobby pumps are often struggling to push the flow due to the pressure resistance.

Putting pumps in parallel increases the flow rate, but to the pressure, as a result they probably wouldn't pump anything extra through the system because the pressure pushing ability hasn't changed.

Putting pumps is series results in the pumps adding their pressures together. So long as the flow rates working against the resistance of the system are less than the weakest pump's peak ability (pretty safe there, I can guarantee that they are), then the extra pressure will result in higher flow rates.

Better to hook them up in serial. Weaker pump feeding the stronger pump.

Yeah, I thought of this after I posted, btw Cathar nice to see a fellow Melburnian here on the forums.

I will try to do it in series then :) .. thx Cathar ..
but again, where do I put the 2nd pump? feeding from the outlet of the first?? or it doesn't matter?

Cathar said:
Better to hook them up in serial. Weaker pump feeding the stronger pump. Do not hook them up in parallel (with a Y) if they are of imbalance flow types. In fact, don't hook them up with a Y period even if they are. Hobby pumps are often struggling to push the flow due to the pressure resistance.

Putting pumps in parallel increases the flow rate, but to the pressure, as a result they probably wouldn't pump anything extra through the system because the pressure pushing ability hasn't changed.

Putting pumps is series results in the pumps adding their pressures together. So long as the flow rates working against the resistance of the system are less than the weakest pump's peak ability (pretty safe there, I can guarantee that they are), then the extra pressure will result in higher flow rates.

why are you adding a pump? If it is as I suspect the flowrate is just too low... are you using a reservoir? If So im positive you will get much better flow by just repositioning it/removing it. If you insist on a reservoir put it at the highest point, this way the pump isnt having to lift the water at all! as "lift" or "head" is the distance from the highest point in the system to the waterline in whatever the pump is in (or the reservoir that feeds the pump) if these are one and the same, you have zero lift and should get maximum flow - the losses due to restriction in tubing.

As to putting the pumps in serial its still not ideal as you need the flow to be the same even in this case, otherwise the more powerful pump just drives the weaker pump.

RN said:
why are you adding a pump? If it is as I suspect the flowrate is just too low... are you using a reservoir? If So im positive you will get much better flow by just repositioning it/removing it. If you insist on a reservoir put it at the highest point, this way the pump isnt having to lift the water at all! as "lift" or "head" is the distance from the highest point in the system to the waterline in whatever the pump is in (or the reservoir that feeds the pump) if these are one and the same, you have zero lift and should get maximum flow - the losses due to restriction in tubing.

As to putting the pumps in serial its still not ideal as you need the flow to be the same even in this case, otherwise the more powerful pump just drives the weaker pump.

Hi RN, Welcome to the forums :)

I used to use 1048 only to feed my TC-4 block and get 32C idle and 34C load on 23C ambient, but after adding GPU & NB blocks, the idle temp goes up to 37C and 42C load .. urghhh .. too many restrictions for my pump .. plus I put my WC setup externally in the same height as my PC , so the pump won't have to pump the water up :) .. as the result, I should be able to enjoy full capacity of my pump ..

I thought of putting just maxijet 1200 to feed all my system .. so I'm gonna try either way and choose whichever gives me better result :) .. I can always re-sell the 1048 later :D ..

Hmmm adding the extra blocks restricted you further? that shouldnt happen unless you ran them in serial :S

adding more blocks will always introduce more resistance to the loop. parrallel does not eliminate the restriction introduced by components. It lets the water choose the less restrictive path. Parrallel does split the volume of flow into seperate paths so instead of having all the flow moving at the same speed across every component, you have a fraction of the flow moving over every component. :)

Back