• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An ambitious workstation build looking for a few good men for help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey that Swiftech looks really nice and safe.. I hope I can get them here without too much trouble...

I have a somewhat related another question...

How do you feel about this product:

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra

There is one caveat with this cooling paste, it corrodes aluminium, so I have to make sure that the flat surface of the cooler is completely copper. The cooling capabilities of this specific paste are extraordinary and way better than for instance OCZ Freeze Extreme.

But if you watch the video, the stuff comes out just by sweeping with a cloth or something... Without any difficulty or mess.. Instead of waiting I'd like to start cooling the system with a Noctua and when the Rad and Pump and Blocks & Fans and what not arrive, I'll already have a steady system to integrate into... That's the plan anyways... And I don't want to take any risks wiping clean the heatspreader on the CPU... Being a first timer and all...

manu2b, what "^+1 " means really? I figured you're agreeing with bmwbaxter, but I still wonder.. :))

Hey that Swiftech looks really nice and safe.. I hope I can get them here without too much trouble...

I have a somewhat related another question...

How do you feel about this product:
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra

There is one caveat with this cooling paste, it corrodes aluminium, so I have to make sure that the flat surface of the cooler is completely copper. The cooling capabilities of this specific paste are extraordinary and way better than for instance OCZ Freeze Extreme.

But if you watch the video, the stuff comes out just by sweeping with a cloth or something... Without any difficulty or mess.. Instead of waiting I'd like to start cooling the system with a Noctua and when the Rad and Pump and Blocks & Fans and what not arrive, I'll already have a steady system to integrate into... That's the plan anyways... And I don't want to take any risks wiping clean the heatspreader on the CPU... Being a first timer and all...

manu2b, what "^+1 " means really? I figured you're agreeing with bmwbaxter, but I still wonder.. :))

that stuff looks okay, but is likely to cost more than some mx-2 thermal paste for maybe a degree or two improvement.

Not really worth IMHO.

Starting off with air cooling is a good idea, so if anything ever breaks you will have a backup so as not to be screwed by not having a system.

Well you know I don't really pay attention to degrees.. All I care here is easy and risk free, no messy re-setup of the CPU for WC... That's all I care... Cushily and uncomplicatedly cleanable TP... Because I know I will have to scrape those heat spreaders once or twice, and I don't wanna get scared and then make excuses to keep the Noctua on it! :chair:

I am in the process of placing an order with Ramexperts for Corsair V. 64GB 1600MHz
:clap: I am so happy they are cheaper than NewEgg besides, NewEgg doesn't do business overseas and no body excepts International Credit cards. But Ramexperts do ship overseas and have PayPal.. Getting the rams, finally... :bday:

I will have to work a bit harder for getting educated on Fans, and then I shall come here and try to ask some intelligent questions... :facepalm:

Last edited:
Scraping a heat spreader? Qtips to remove most of it, maybe a toothpick to remove the chunks from an over application of paste around the edges. Then 90+% alcohol from a drugstore and q tips to clean. Then a filter from a coffee pot (no lint) to clean the last bit off the CPU and the heatsink.

There is no ... scraping.

"Mx-2 is easier by far afaik."
You don't mean that cooling wise I suppose.. Because it has a mediocre performance in average temperature weighted for typical CPU mounting quality table at skinneelabs.com..
Seems like Indigo Xtereme tops at every test... So do oyou mean cleaning wise?

"Also why 64Gb of ram?"
Well CS6 Aftereffects can't have enough of it... Also When you edit 4K video you kind of need it...

"Scraping a heat spreader? There is no ... scraping."
Well I got the idea from I don't know where, but it mentioned a provided tool, a scraper,
so I thought that was the scenario...
But the way you explain the process sounds like if there is nothing to it.. Yet I hear many awful things about messy heatspreaders due to TP used... So I thought a scraper might be handy LOL

@MIAHALLEN
Thank you, I'll be going there now..

EDITED
Well I am just at the beginning but it looks very exciting and reassuring and it's going to be very informative indeed... I'd like to spend some time there... Then I'll be sure knocking your door at no time :)

Last edited:
Why? The "WS" in the boards name stands for WorkStation, which is exactly what the OP is building here.
Looks like a good choice to me.

Yes, I know what the WS stands for, and it doesn't mean the other models can't also be used for a workstation. I only said that because when I was researching the P9x79 and different models (which was my original choice in my build), I discovered certain design flaws, lack of functions/features, seriously bad reviews (which are irrelevant of course), plus the price difference was not much to warrant getting it as opposed to the higher end models such as the Pro and Deluxe, but that is just my opinion, and FWIW, +1, yet a moot point at this stage since its bought and paid for, but since you asked why........

ASUS first came out with the P9X79, then improved on the design with each model to the Pro and Deluxe respectively. The first model became limited editions once the final design was complete. WS is just a scaled down model, but the price premium doesn't reflect it IMO.

It's priced the same as the Deluxe, it looks like the money was put into a stronger 12v plane rather an more MOSFET heatsinks for the most part.
I'd like to hold it and the other two in my hands and compare PCB weight/stiffness, I suspect that the WS has more copper in it.

I can definitely understand going with the Pro over the WS, it's a lot cheaper. The deluxe looks like it has a lot of money spent on useless (IMO of course) features.

WS is the right choice for what I am aiming for...

Not that I care for but also,
WS is better equipped for OC among all three boards. Pro is the third card in the line and Deluxe is behind WS. And all that extra stuff Deluxe brings which, evidently I don't care, is not a comparison what WS brings on the table...
The 6 x PCIe x 16 slots and workstation utilities, Dual and better Intel Gigabit LAN with lower 71% CPU Utilization, server level capability with RAID cards, Lan cards and Capture cards...

WS is NOT just a scaled down model at all...

Basically Deluxe is for tourists and WS is for natives... :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
First of I congratulate you all for a smooth transition to the 2013... One prophecy down three to go...

I wanted to inform you that I've completed my rig, and surprisingly enough it worked as soon as I finished wiring it...

I will post some pictures to conclude this sweet bitter journey shortly...
For now here is the final list.

Thank you all for your help and time...

FINAL RIG:

MOBO: ASUS P9X79 WS
CPU: INTEL i7 3930k
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100i
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 64 GB (8X8) 1600MHz
VGA: ZOTAC GTX 680 4GB
SSD: CORSAIR FORCE GT 480GB
BLUE RAY COMBO DRIVER:LG
PSU: CORSAİR AX1200i
CASE: COOLER MASTER COSMOS 2

Hello everyone,
First of I congratulate you all for a smooth transition to the 2013... One prophecy down three to go...

I wanted to inform you that I've completed my rig, and surprisingly enough it worked as soon as I finished wiring it...

I will post some pictures to conclude this sweet bitter journey shortly...
For now here is the final list.

Thank you all for your help and time...

FINAL RIG:

MOBO: ASUS P9X79 WS
CPU: INTEL i7 3930k
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100i
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 64 GB (8X8) 1600MHz
VGA: ZOTAC GTX 680 4GB
SSD: CORSAIR FORCE GT 480GB
BLUE RAY COMBO DRIVER:LG
PSU: CORSAİR AX1200i
CASE: COOLER MASTER COSMOS 2