• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mathematical limit of 9700 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fallen

Registered
I have seen the damn calcutalion about five million times, but couldn't find it in like 30 seconds of browsing the web. What is the theoretical mathematical limit of the memory on a 9700 pro? I have a Powercolor, and if I'm not mistaken, it has 3.3ns Infineon memory on it. I ask this question because I had been using RivaTuner to overclock my card, and the memory wouldn't go past about 327Mhz. I thought that this was pathetic seeing that the core would go to 415Mhz. Last night, I downloaded the newest Omega Drivers and tried RadClocker. My memory went stable all the way to 367Mhz with the core at 415Mhz. How far can I push it?

I have no idea if this calculation is right as I'm just doing this from intuition, but the 9700 has a 256 bit bus so it proccesses 32 bytes every clock cycle. At 300 Mhz, that's 300,000,000 partial or full instructions per second. Since it is DDR, we effectively double the clock rate, so that's 600,000,000 instructions. This gives us 19,200,000,000 bytes of information or roughly 19.2 GB/sec. Does this sound right?

Yes and no. That is the bandwidth calculation, I am looking for the maximum frequency. The bandwidth formula is:

(Bus) / (8 bits/byte) * MemClock * 2

256 / 8 * 310 * 2 = 19.8 Gb/s

So close... but thanks!

if the memory is 3.3ns, do 1000/3.3 = 300Mhz (it think)
if the mem is, say, 3.0ns, then: 1000/3.0 = 333Mhz

of course, it's theoretical..

edit:
did I misunderstand what you asked? I guess... :)

Yeah, the 9700pros shouldn't be coming with 3.3ns memory -- and from your overclock, I can almost 100% guarantee you that you don't have 3.3ns memory.

You either have some really REALLY lucky 3.0ns, or the standard 9700pro 2.8ns memory.

No, that (I think) is what I was looking for. Where does the 1000 come from? That would seem strange that the memory would come from the factory clocked over spec (at 310 Mhz), but Infineon's website seems to be giving me the same info....I think.

This is just a speculation based on what I have learned today, but I would say:

1024 / 2.8 = 365 Mhz

I don't know this to be a fact, so don't hold me to it. The memory will probably go a lot further than that (I have seen it at 400Mhz), so I don't really know if this is right...

check out this page from samsung. Look at the bottom at the speed note.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/common/product_list.jsp?family_cd=GME0202

I think those numbers apply to all dram chips, not just samsung chips.

Here is the data from that page.

2.0 ns (500MHz)
2.2 ns (450MHz)
2.5 ns (400MHz)
2.67 ns (375MHz)
2.86 ns (350MHz)
3.3 ns (300MHZ)
3.6 ns (275MHz)
4.0 ns (250MHz)
4.5 ns (222MHz)
5.0 ns (200MHz)
5.5 ns (183MHz)
6.0 ns (166MHz)

btw - these numbers do equal 1000/x.x ns.

You don't really calculate. Look at the chips and get the brand and model number. Then go to the manufacturer's website and reference that number.

Cool, this is mine:

Part No. K4D26323RA-GC2A

Max Freq. 350MHz

Max Data Rate 700Mbps/pin

Interface SSTL_2 (VDD/VDDQ=2.8V)

Package 144-Ball FBGA

Technically can mine go that high w/o ramsinks?

Tough to say. It depends a lot on ambient temperature, voltage and the brand of memory. I had mine up to 367 last night without ramsinks, and it was still ok. I wouldn't want to run it for any extended period of time at that temperature, but it ran great. You just have to play with it and see. You are running 2.8 ns memory (2.8 * 350 = ~1000).

You can try - the same chips on my card don't. They crap out around 342 without ramsinks. I am having other problems now so I have not been able to push it with ramsinks.

Weird....... I'll give mine a shot when i get a better PSU, right now I only have 300 W and I have ****load srunning on it right now

kct2, that is wierd, but my only thought is power. How much power are you running? What are your specs?

Fallen - you referring to my other thread? If so, I'll update my post there with more info. I don't want to hijack this thread.

Back