• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who can beat this air-cooled temp.??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What are the ambient temps on that?

I had a Duron 600 @ 1050, 1.80V, 41C loaded with ambient at 16C...though that is via the insocket thermister, which doesn't really mean much of anything.

Oh yeah. FOP-38 cooling.

Well I got my 1 gig Bird to idle at ambient with a FOP32 on a spare KT7-R last weekend. The board was on the bench and the chip and HS were lapped with 2000 grit using Artic Silver for lube. Despite the fact that the thermistor was touching the ceramic plate the CPU die is mounted on, I don't believe it. I can't wait for the Palomino, if for no other reason than to put to rest the funky external thermistor readings.

In my defense. It was with a "Heavy Heart" that I drilled a 1mm hole through my new MC-462A HSF base and mounted a thermocouple directly on top of and in the middle of my core. I had already re-positioned my in-socket thermistor to rest against the bottom of the CPU substrate, directly in the center of the core, and put a very small dit of A.S. on it. The in-socket thermistor, using the VIA Hardware Monitor program that came with my KT7A, reads within .5C of the thermocouple except during transition, when it lag by about 2C.

Hoot

Wouldnt drilling a hole in the center of your heatsink and putting a thermistor in there create a small hotspot where the probe is?

TT120 (Apr 10, 2001 12:57 p.m.):
Wouldnt drilling a hole in the center of your heatsink and putting a thermistor in there create a small hotspot where the probe is?

good point.. never thought of that before. joe would be the man to ask about this one!

You bet it does. a 1mm hotspot on a core with about 120mm of surface area. Not much impact on cooling, especially considering there is A.S. in the hole surrounding the thermocouple.

Hoot

Back