• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
The days of "Well you only have six cores"... are well and truly OVER:

PXL_20240306_091523722.MP.jpg

Could it be...

PXL_20240308_165726657.MP.jpg

...it is!

A GIGANTIC thanks to feakdiablo for making this international import possible.

An older chip it may be... but it's really just BARELY behind the 14700K... so I'll take that as a victory.

PXL_20240308_203458268.jpg

I also did some interesting temp comparisons between this one and my old 9600kf. (Same cooler... different case.)

9600kf_cyberpunk.jpg

That's the 9600kf after the Cyberpunk Benchmark

12900k_blackmagic.jpg

This is the 12900K after the BlackMagic BRAW benchmark. (I've got results from that bench from both CPUs somewhere...)

braw-rtx2060-speed test.jpg

This IS from the 9600K... but unfortunately with my old rtx 2060 and not the 4060. So this isn't exactly a fair comparisons of the CPUs. (it never occurred to me to run the BRAW test with the new GPU until now) but it does show you how far I've come overall.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 130007.png

The values on the right are in frames per second. Anything under 60fps is a fail.

There actually IS a column just for CPU usage... so it actually does show the difference between these two CPUs.

I'm actually very interested to know if my desktop can finally defeat my M1 Macbook Air in DaVinci Resolve performance...

Congrats on the new build! Enjoy!

I'm actually very interested to know if my desktop can finally defeat my M1 Macbook Air in DaVinci Resolve performance...
Quite handily.

The M1 is a few years old at this point. It was ~= to a i5 1245U... which your new cpu would schmoke (2p/8e vs 8p/8e)... clockspeeds are alot higher on your desktop cpu too). I'd guess a midrange 9th gen (or maybe 10th gen) desktop part would beat an M1... haven't looked though. Maybe 9900k would do it.

Edit: saw pics of your new build in some other thread (but not in your new build thread? Lol). I'd adjust your heatsink so its blowing front to back. As it stands, you're sucking the heat right off the back of your video card into the cpu heatsink.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new build! Enjoy!

Thanks!

Edit: saw pics of your new build in some other thread (but not in your new build thread?

I'm the last one on this site that actually respects thread categories! :D Somebody posted something about motherboards in the General Discussion category and there were like THREE replies to it from, a senior member a that, before I got it moved! (think his name was "EarthDay" or something... :p )

I put pictures of the build in the case section because... it's mostly about the case. This EarthDay character also asked me to post before and after pics... in that category so that's where I posted it. Take it up with him! :rofl:

I've got more pics coming with the new fans, and later there will be photos with the AIO... you get the idea.

Lol). I'd adjust your heatsink so its blowing front to back. As it stands, you're sucking the heat right off the back of your video card into the cpu heatsink.

You mean the fan should be at the back... near the rear fan? Or at the front? The reason I put it like that is, well I guess for one I just did it like I did last time, but also because the bottom of it kinda seemed to correspond to the bottom of the CPU (even though the top of it is square.... the bottom of both is kind of a long rectangle.)

Screen Shot 2024-03-09 at 10.50.35 PM.png

Ahhh... I see. The fan should be towards the RAM. I should've posted a photo of my case interior YEARS ago, then! :D

(Also... this photo was VERY hard to come by... If you just google "Zalman cooler" you find a million photos of them for sale... and not one installed in a system... I had to take this still myself from a youtube video... The cut was so fast it took me three tries!)

I'm not sure I'll switch it around before I get an AIO cooler and put this back on my 9600. Getting this thing screwed down is always, far and away, the most challenging (though no longer the most time-consuming) part of any build...

Thanks!

I'm the last one on this site that actually respects thread categories! :D Somebody posted something about motherboards in the General Discussion category and there were like THREE replies to it from, a senior member a that, before I got it moved! (think his name was "EarthDay" or something... :p )

I put pictures of the build in the case section because... it's mostly about the case. This EarthDay character also asked me to post before and after pics... in that category so that's where I posted it. Take it up with him! :rofl:

I've got more pics coming with the new fans, and later there will be photos with the AIO... you get the idea.

You mean the fan should be at the back... near the rear fan? Or at the front? The reason I put it like that is, well I guess for one I just did it like I did last time, but also because the bottom of it kinda seemed to correspond to the bottom of the CPU (even though the top of it is square.... the bottom of both is kind of a long rectangle.)

View attachment 365361

Ahhh... I see. The fan should be towards the RAM. I should've posted a photo of my case interior YEARS ago, then! :D

(Also... this photo was VERY hard to come by... If you just google "Zalman cooler" you find a million photos of them for sale... and not one installed in a system... I had to take this still myself from a youtube video... The cut was so fast it took me three tries!)

I'm not sure I'll switch it around before I get an AIO cooler and put this back on my 9600. Getting this thing screwed down is always, far and away, the most challenging (though no longer the most time-consuming) part of any build...
Dam that's a nice build! :thup:

ICANT :rofl:

Push or pull (front or back of the heatsink) is your call. I usually push through the beatsink and let the rear case fan take it out. But, optimally, it doesn't go bottom to top and hoover heat off the gpu.

Anyway dude, nice build you got there! Glad you're feeling the benefits of the new rig in your gaming and workflows. It's always good to feel it!!

Push or pull (front or back of the heatsink) is your call. I usually push through the beatsink and let the rear case fan take it out. But, optimally, it doesn't go bottom to top and hoover heat off the gpu.

Anyway dude, nice build you got there! Glad you're feeling the benefits of the new rig in your gaming and workflows. It's always good to feel it!!

Well let's just refer to "front or back of case" instead... The way my case is setup (see why this is totally a case discussion? :D We should totally be having it there...) cool air is being pulled in from the front and hot air is being pushed out the back. I'd like to keep that momentum going with the cpu fan. So does that mean it should be towards the front of the case (where the RAM is) or the back of the case?

Fans have always confused me... It's the one thing I've never been able to wrap my hand around. It's just like whistling... :D :D

(see why this is totally a case discussion? :D
ICANT. Move on.

The terms used for fan orientation on a heatsink or radiaior is push or pull. You're either pushing air through the hs/rad or you're pulling air through it. Airflow in the chassis should be front to back.

Ideally you don't want the fan pointing up when there's a video card below it. That's all. Don't get confused.

Just out of curiosity... THIS isn't supposed to happen is it?

nice rain! i thought you lived in the states?

(Checks to see if it's Deathman20 back from another dimension... Nope!)

Nooo... I mean I did, briefly, back in 2008 or something. But, other than that, I've been outside the States for the past 24 years. When I first joined here I was in France, then I was in the States for all of 2008, then I was in Spain, then I was in Germany, now I'm back in France again. (Don't think I could live with non-French-level food again... though I wish I was eating Irish-level food.)

Maybe I just posted more in 2008. :D That's when I took the photo that's currently my avatar. The OLD days of watercooling! We're talking HARDWARE STORES! :beer:

Just out of curiosity... THIS isn't supposed to happen is it?
It depends on your settings....or maybe it's failing. It looks like the voltage/PWM cycle is right at the cusp of being able to turn it on/run?

Did you run the Fan tuning on this motherboard (finds fan min/max)? It's in the BIOS or in Armory Crate. But I'd see if you can raise the RPM for that fan just a bit to keep it on... see if that's it.

It depends on your settings....or maybe it's failing. It looks like the voltage/PWM cycle is right at the cusp of being able to turn it on/run?

Did you run the Fan tuning on this motherboard (finds fan min/max)? It's in the BIOS or in Armory Crate. But I'd see if you can raise the RPM for that fan just a bit to keep it on... see if that's it.

Well the fan tuning turned out to be a bad idea... it just PERMANENTLY disabled the fan... with no option to enable it again. (There don't seem to be any manual options... I can't even click on it now.)

Screenshot 2024-03-13 131512.png

Oh boy. Bad fan, perhaps? Try another in the same port, and try that one in another port to see if it's the fan.

The days of "Well you only have six cores"... are well and truly OVER:

View attachment 365351

Could it be...

View attachment 365352

...it is!

A GIGANTIC thanks to feakdiablo for making this international import possible.

An older chip it may be... but it's really just BARELY behind the 14700K... so I'll take that as a victory.

View attachment 365353

I also did some interesting temp comparisons between this one and my old 9600kf. (Same cooler... different case.)

View attachment 365354

That's the 9600kf after the Cyberpunk Benchmark

View attachment 365355

This is the 12900K after the BlackMagic BRAW benchmark. (I've got results from that bench from both CPUs somewhere...)

View attachment 365356

This IS from the 9600K... but unfortunately with my old rtx 2060 and not the 4060. So this isn't exactly a fair comparisons of the CPUs. (it never occurred to me to run the BRAW test with the new GPU until now) but it does show you how far I've come overall.

View attachment 365357

The values on the right are in frames per second. Anything under 60fps is a fail.

There actually IS a column just for CPU usage... so it actually does show the difference between these two CPUs.

The one thing that worries me is you only have 8gigs of ram on the GPU.

Oh boy. Bad fan, perhaps? Try another in the same port, and try that one in another port to see if it's the fan.

Yeah I just did that. Tried CPU_Opt with the fan... it's deader than a door nail. I took the front case fan that I replaced with 3 RGBs in the H7 Flow and just sat it on top of the GPU pointing at the Zallman radiator. Plugged it into the CPU_Fan header and it seems to be working fine. It'll do for today.

I've got a cheap AIO 360 unit coming tomorrow which should last me until I can figure something else out.

The one thing that worries me is you only have 8gigs of ram on the GPU.

Ya know... that worries me, too... If you'd like to donate two or three 4090 cards to the cause... then maybe we'd both sleep easier at night... :rofl:

It's actually a REALLY lucky break that I just HAPPENED to turn the fan over to where I could see it just before it died... and that I happened to be looking at it last night at like 3:30am when it started to act up.

If you hadn't recommended that I turn the fan then I probably never would've noticed it was going kaput. So cheers for that! :beer:

Back