• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBird 1.2's not liking voltage increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ken257

I have a 2 1.2 gig TBirds, one is an AXHA(200) and the other a AXIA(266). I also have a Abit KT7A Raid and an Asus A7V133. I have tried both cpu's on each board and the results are the same. These do not want to post with voltages over 1.8 I am using 400watt psu's so thats not the problem. They still oc good the AXIA is doing 1440 with ambient temp water cooling and the AXHA is at 1572 with -17 water both of these are with default voltage. What are your experiances with raising voltage on high-end Birds?

On my 1.0G/266 AXIA, I can't see any OC improvement above 1.85V. They seem to do well at lower voltages. Also, make sure your PSU +5V output is not collapsing from the current demand. More voltage=more current. Also, with more current, there is a greater voltage drop from the PSU to the core regulator input. I just realized this last night. Under load (P95), my +5V was reading 4.93 on the motherboard voltage monitor, but 5.05V at the PSU. Another post alerted to the potential for this to occur. Adding some heavy gauge wires in parallel to the ATX power connector reduces this loss. The post was in the AMD Motherboard forum. Quite thought provoking.

Hoot

Hoot, I did see that other post you were talking about that does look very interesting. My Abit board does show down in voltage just a hare so that mod might just help, but my Asus on the other hand shows slightly higher voltages so I know I am good there.

I may just give that mod a shot this weekend when I have the time.

I am noticing better stability up to 1.85V above that it's dimishing returns, since at 1,85 I can run 1360 and at 1.91 it's 1385 na at 1.97 it's 1420. But that equates to well over 90 W with the according heat and 95W=19A= Voltage drop, though my P/S allows to adjust the output voltage up to about 5.5 even under load :)

Yo

With my 1333/266 chip at 1.85 volt I have been able to get to 1612 stable with watercooler and temps useing burn6 would only reach 46c. That is on a Abit KT7A-Raid board.

Back