• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking my TBird 900 <== Newbie!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gavin

I've searched this web site for a method to unlock my chip and not found anything. i then searched this forum and found you guys talking about "pencils". I am a complete newbie at overclocking but i can learn quickly but I don't know whether you mean pencils as in the things that make marks on paper or some other kind of computer pencil which I've never heard of. Also, once I get one of these "pencils", what do I do with it to unlock my CPU so I can change my multiplier settings? I have an ABit KT7-RAID MB, TBird 900MHz socket A, 100MHz FSB, 18GB UW SCSI, and 256MB PC133 SDRAM. Any help?

Gavin (Apr 11, 2001 07:48 a.m.):
I've searched this web site for a method to unlock my chip and not found anything. i then searched this forum and found you guys talking about "pencils". I am a complete newbie at overclocking but i can learn quickly but I don't know whether you mean pencils as in the things that make marks on paper or some other kind of computer pencil which I've never heard of. Also, once I get one of these "pencils", what do I do with it to unlock my CPU so I can change my multiplier settings? I have an ABit KT7-RAID MB, TBird 900MHz socket A, 100MHz FSB, 18GB UW SCSI, and 256MB PC133 SDRAM. Any help?

Its easy to unlock your chip. On the chip, to the right of the die, there are two rows w/ four dots each, and a label that says "L1". You have to connect these dots w/ a standard, run-of-the-mill pencil. I prefer to use a mechanical pencil w/ a .5mm lead. You have to make 4 lines to link these dots. Make sure that one line on one bridge does not touch another!! After this is done, your chip will be unlocked, and you can set your multiplier in your BIOS or on the board (I don't know how to set it on that board, because I don't have that one). Good luck! :)

Thanks a lot, both of you. I'm off to pencil in the L1 stuff now...

I used Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. Its made to be conductive, and you wont have the chance of the pencil either not being conductive enough or coming off.... Good Luck

Problem: I've just pencilled it in and it still wouldn't make me make any changes to the multiplier settings. I then took the CPU out again and pencilled it in even more (now each L1 slit is covered in pencil lead, being careful not to link each L1 thing with the one beside it) but still no luck. I used a "Berol EAGLE USA HB 2" pencil - at least that's what it says on the side of the pencil. I change the multiplier settings through the BIOS (I have an ABIT KT7-RAID motherboard) and it lets me set the multiplier setting to 9.5 and I can save the change. Except when I boot up again it says 900MHz CPU Detected - 100MHz * 9.0. This is very annoying. Could it be because the graphite in the pencil I used is not conductive enough?

Alot of times pencil is not conductive enough, and if you keep messing with the cpu, you could eventually kill it. Take my advise, AutoZone's are all over the country, just get a rear window defogger repair kit, this is what I used, and it does the job well... good luck

Back