• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie at overclocking trying to figure out settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

Joe

I am just getting into overclocking and would like to know how the voltage correlation works. When I set the voltage up I get lockups and memory dumps on Windows 2000. Does this idicate that Windows 2000 is not going to let me change my cpu settings in my bios without reinstalling W2k. I read where people are setting their voltage as high as 2.00 volts. My settings go to 1.85 and that is it. Would someone just give me an idea on how to find the optimum overclocking rate that will works with Windows.

The 'optimum' overclocking rate that works with windows varys from person to person. Each Chip performs a little differently, some better than others. you should't have to re-install Win2K in order to start overclocking: overclocking is basically telling your computer that you have a faster chip than you really do(basically), and Windows will just play along with the joke... provided everything is stable. Give us some more info about your system and I'm certain that we'll be able to help get you running well.

BTW: I love Win2K!

Basicly you up your fsb and multiplier until you get it as high as it will go stable. Meaning you can run benchmarks and do a decent burn in without crashing then you up the voltage beyond default. (1.75 core 3.3 i/o on my mobo -abit kt7a).

The defaults may vary from bios to bios but the principal remains the same. Increase the volatage incrementally and then trying upping the fsb and multiplier some more and so on. Up too 1.85 core and 3.5 i/o is pretty much safe as long as your temps remain below 50' c. Increasing the voltage helps improve system stability it should not in of itself cause windows to fail. All it does is improve the signal strength of your cpu (core voltage) and ram (i/o voltage) at the cost of tempeture. As long as you monitor your temps you should be fine. :)

A kind soul explained this to me too a few days ago <g>.

Sirfin~

I am running a 1.2 ghz with ATI 4x AGP. Have my case open next to a window that has a brease blowing through most of the time so my cpu temp is usually in the 30's and low 40's. My system temp in the 20's. I have found that the most stable setting is 1450 mhz (10x145). When I try to go to 1500 or more the computer will not boot. Voltage is extremely hard to set as almost all settings are rejected and the system will keep rebooting when I get to the logon for W2k. Appeared that W2k was rejecting the setting or the PCI bus is too high for W2k.

Back