• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1Ghz TBird: 100 or 133 Mhz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Len

I've been thinking that if its possible to get AXIA 100 Mhz CPUs then maybe a 100 Mhz 1Ghz TBird would be a better choice. Get a good HSF, drop it in with a FSB of 133 and you have 1333 without having to unlock it. You could take it further to 1400 or higher by just pushing the FSB to 140 and beyond. Those FSB frequencies aren't all that high so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

What do you think? Comments?

It's more leg work as there are still some old code 100 FSBs sitting around where as you can take a chance on a 266 and your pretty much garunteed at least an AVIA, my AXIA 266 is at 1470 air cooled at 1.85 volts, personally I'd just get a 266 and unlock it, but if you dont want to mess with unlocking it hunting down a 100 AXIA might be better <however the effort tracking one down may be more than just getting the 266 and unlocking it>

Len (Apr 25, 2001 01:48 p.m.):
I've been thinking that if its possible to get AXIA 100 Mhz CPUs then maybe a 100 Mhz 1Ghz TBird would be a better choice. Get a good HSF, drop it in with a FSB of 133 and you have 1333 without having to unlock it. You could take it further to 1400 or higher by just pushing the FSB to 140 and beyond. Those FSB frequencies aren't all that high so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

What do you think? Comments?

If you can make sure that it's an AXIA your thought process is correct. I just bought one last weekend at a computer show. They are cheaper by about $10 or as well...

It runs beautifully, and even though I unlocked it, I never ran it below 133FSB, so I booted it right up at 1330. Being able to adjust the multiplier may not be as essential here, but rather than running the system at 155x10 I am running it at 160x9.5. Despite the fact that I am not using about 30MHz, the system is faster in memory throughput (SET scores are lower) , and it takes only 1.91V rather than 1.97.

Yo

Back