• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air intake causes CPU temps to rise...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aftershock

Okay this is strange... my case has your standard intake front, and exaust back.

When I have intake + exaust temps under load are 51C

when I disconnect the intake, and have JUST the exaust, temps are 49C

This is after ~ 1 hour of prime95
both fans are Sunnon 35cfm fans

Anyone else find this kind of weird? Guess I'll be only running 1 exaust and ditch my intake, no need for extra noise and extra heat. Although I'm worred about the slight negative air pressure within the case. Although my case has vents on the side cover so it should equalize pressure wise w/o having to draw in dust through the CD-ROM etc...

You are right, that is odd. My guess is that your intake fan is moving some mobo and add-on card heat up toward the HSF more aggressively than when you only have the exhaust going. I just finished modding my front and rear fan mounts to accept the pair of new 92mm Sanyo-Denki 55cfm fans. Boy do they do a nice job evacuating the heat out of my mid-tower, and quiet too.

Hoot

Also, I'm using ThermoEngine, which by default and what I have setup it BLOWS air onto the heatsink. So the standard air flow of going through the computer might not apply.

Hoot (May 03, 2001 10:50 p.m.):
You are right, that is odd. My guess is that your intake fan is moving some mobo and add-on card heat up toward the HSF more aggressively than when you only have the exhaust going. I just finished modding my front and rear fan mounts to accept the pair of new 92mm Sanyo-Denki 55cfm fans. Boy do they do a nice job evacuating the heat out of my mid-tower, and quiet too.

Hoot

Hello Hoot; Where did you get those 92mm Sanyo denki.. and the Price? I love to get some of them for my systems... Many thanks.

.....i m too poor so i couldn't afford both intake and exhaust fans.......so i only bought 1 fan and tried them both as intake or exhaust....
i found out that if the fan acts as exhaust then my mobo temp will be around 43C but without exhaust 40...if intake fan my mobo temp 39C

btw my cpu temp stays the same no matter what for some reason

tim (May 04, 2001 12:53 a.m.):
Hello Hoot; Where did you get those 92mm Sanyo denki.. and the Price? I love to get some of them for my systems... Many thanks.

Tim, I got them from Millisec.com, $14.00 each, $5.00 S/H.

Hoot

Aftershock (May 03, 2001 10:43 p.m.):
Okay this is strange... my case has your standard intake front, and exaust back.

When I have intake + exaust temps under load are 51C

when I disconnect the intake, and have JUST the exaust, temps are 49C

-----

Although you have front and back fans (intake and exhaust) are they at the same height ? If this is the case i would have thought it may actually just draw the cool air from the intake straight out of the exhaust allowing the system to create more heat. Thus making the exhaust ineffective as it can only move so much air no matter what the air temprature is.
Obviously heat rises and this should be a consideration when placing the exhaust in your system. Only a theory.. what do people think ?

Duron 800 @ 1035 with Global Win FOP-32 <-- Gotta go faster yet
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff)
Elsa Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live
Hard Drive Cooler
Full Tower With 5 Fans (120 mm) with seperate PSU

intake is in bottom front, exaust is back top, right under PSU. So the air flow has an "S " shape to it, sort of

I gues it really is different for everyone's setup. Best restuls yield in only exaust for me.

Back