• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just out of curiosity, could i...........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

.......run linux on my computer without haveing to re partition my harddrive? But could i have a dual booting thing so i could choose if i wanted to go into XP or linux?

Yes. I know there is a technique for installing knoppix to a folder in an existing FAT32 partition. On knoppix.net this is often referred to as a poor man's install. You don't alter your boot loader at all though, instead, you boot from the cd, decompress the files on it to a folder in a Fat32 partition, and then change the root of your filesystem from the CD to the CD's decompressed files (now on your hdd). A full knoppix CD takes up about 1.75GB of space once unpacked to a HDD.

Arkaine23 said:
Yes. I know there is a technique for installing knoppix to a folder in an existing FAT32 partition. On knoppix.net this is often referred to as a poor man's install. You don't alter your boot loader at all though, instead, you boot from the cd, decompress the files on it to a folder in a Fat32 partition, and then change the root of your filesystem from the CD to the CD's decompressed files (now on your hdd). A full knoppix CD takes up about 1.75GB of space once unpacked to a HDD.

never knew about that... cool

but that would only work for fat32, and NOT ntfs which you may be running since you mentioned XP...

also for me i just did this on my mom's laptop
she had a 30gb hard-drive with 1 partition that was NTFS

so i resized the NTFS partition with partition magic

then i just made all the neccesary linux partitions...

i found it to be pretty easy

Last edited:
Back