• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going back in, cross your fingers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Latest Linux Mint with Cinnamon has been downloaded. I've got my 1700 paired up with a 3060Ti. Going to play a bit with the current Win10 install it has. Then, I am going to nuke the whole thing and solo boot Mint from that PC. I will install what I need plus try to get Steam/Age of Empire working on Mint. Also, will VNC into my main rig for duties that I need to do but don't want to port over just yet.

The only thing holding me back in the past was Fortnite using Easy Anti Cheat and it not being compatible with Linux. It doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon. Plus I play 99% of the time on my Xbox nowadays.

As I get more comfortable with Linux again I will port over the things I need to it. Eventually I will get it to the point where I will update the 1700 to my 5600x and the 3060Ti could stay or go as I have a 3080 and a 6800XT that are both sitting idle ATM.

Wish me luck!

6 hour update:

Nvidia driver updated
Apps and OS updated
Added Unlock Origin to Firefox

Used my Ouija board to call a friend who passed away a few months back. Nope, Hell hasn't frozen over... Yet

And.... My first crash. Installed Steam, installed Age of Empires played a game and I must have hit a key or something and it crashed to a lock screen. Not THE lock screen when starting up. I think it may have had to do with crashing to a lower resolution.

I log back in and for a few minutes get a black screen with a mouse pointer.

After those few minutes it's back to the desktop.

Also, when scrolling around in AoE I get some horizontal tearing.

Windows 10 has been so stable for me. I'm having trouble justifying Linux this time around.

Nerp... Mac. :p

Go back to DOS, people. :rofl:
There is more to it than the OS.

I am not deconstructing my main/gaming rig. So if I need power I have it.

Incidentally, the PC I have Linux on is overpowered for what I need.

Linux has a few small quirks. The horizontal tearing while playing Age of Empires is annoying. I do so much screen scrolling that it would be a constant annoyance.

The power the Mac Mini has for it's form factor and size is intriguing. I could probably sell this system for the cost of the Mac Mini.

If the iPhone was a little more open and it's keyboard and copy/paste is exactly like my Note then I'd probably be living in an Apple biosphere.

I am still going to push forward with this Linux rig. I am going to set up the printer, copy some Excel and Word documents over and see how they do.

I can always resort to an Altair or a Texas Instruments calculator

This one may be unforgivable:

Using Firefox, while watching a YouTube video in full screen mode when I move the cursor down over the status bar it disappears. If I want to move the video forward or backward I have to go to windowed mode and then I am able to adjust the position...

Back