• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convincing the paranoid that their computer isn't being hacked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F4

Red Raccoon Dojo
I've already got ZoneAlarm (set on ultra-paranoid mode) as well as a hardware firewall (an SMC router), and Norton Antivirus updated.

I've explained to him several time how these things work, and how I know nobody's hacking into his computer.

Any other suggestions on what I can do to convince this guy that he's safe?

What is going on that he thinks someone is hacking him?

Tell him that it is very unusual for someone to expend interactive human effort to hack a specific random person, and that noone cares about hacking him for anything he has.

I should try that.....

His computer does do something very odd, but I really don't think it's a hacker, since their's no activity lights blinking on his router when it happens.

Every once in a while in internet explorer, all his background turn white, and his fonts get larger than normal. About fifteen minutes later, with his computer idling, but displaying a loaded webpage, a squeek will come from his computers pc speaker, the page will refresh and everything goes back to normal.

He's convinced this is a hacker taking a screenshot to monitor him. I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure it's not a hacker.

F4 said:

Every once in a while in internet explorer, all his background turn white, and his fonts get larger than normal. About fifteen minutes later, with his computer idling, but displaying a loaded webpage, a squeek will come from his computers pc speaker, the page will refresh and everything goes back to normal.

That's really strange o_O.

You may want to check the start up programs to make sure there isnt a prank or somthing simalar installed. Unlikely, but may as well look. You can allways back up and format:)

Edge him on, make him think that the CIA, FBI and NSA are after him. That's what I would do anyway, this does sound really odd. Did you check to see if there was a mouse eating his videocard? :)
Just kidding, reformat and reinstall would be the easiest way to go, I think.

Why are they trying to convince you you are being hacked?

Tell them to stop bothering you and babysit their computers before they get hacked.

sounds like he might have a worm or something. . losse video card? reseat the cards. . check the windows power settings too. . . . what video card?

Have you checked for spyware or malware? Download both Spybot and AdAware and run scans, you might find some nasties...

It does sound like he has a worm installed so I'd update his virus definitions and run a full scan. My father had 2 nasty viruses and I spent 2 hours on the phone getting that stuff off. He had Norton installed but hadn't updated in a long time, seems the MSN butterfly missed these.

Zone Alarm is a good firewall but Sygate Personal Firewall is a great firewall (IMO) - it's free and lets you monitor all of your traffic, packets.

GRC and sygate have great security checks that test your security externally AND internally.

Good Luck!:cool:

The video card is on-board, as for the worms and such, I've checked everything I can think of, including updated virus scanners, trojan scanners, manually looking for items in the startup areas, and I can't find anything.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. I've had some pretty weird stuff happen do to hardware before.
When weird stuff starts happening to me and I cannot figure it out. I'll format and reinstall. That will atleast help you pin it down.

Back