• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Flash your 5900 into a 5950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, supposedly it ups the voltages on the RAM/Core, well, that's what I was reading on XS.org last night.

Ryan

My Gainward 5900 non-ultra alleged Golden Sample can't even do 450/950 with generous ventilation. I think "Golden" refers to liquid excrement.
I don't think this bios will do anything for my card, except maybe kill it.

5900U%20flashed%20at%205950U.jpg

:) Working a charm ...

I'm starting a database for all the BIOS's. So if you have one for a 5950's brand, please send it my way. [email protected]

http://www.banzai.sniperhq.net/nVidia BIOS/

Also, don't use the current nvflash. Use nvflash441 as it works better. That's also on my site.

Ryan

My Gainward wouldn't do 450/950 before, but now it will do 475/950 just fine after this 5950 bios flash. I'm experiencing some unusual text issues though. Sometimes the text will look slightly fuzzy and others a bit too sharp and faded.??
I didn't do any before and after benchies. Relaxed timings within the 5950u bios are likely the reason for my increase in clock speed. Can anyone confirm this with their bios swap?

Despotes said:
My Gainward wouldn't do 450/950 before, but now it will do 475/950 just fine after this 5950 bios flash. I'm experiencing some unusual text issues though. Sometimes the text will look slightly fuzzy and others a bit too sharp and faded.??
I didn't do any before and after benchies. Relaxed timings within the 5950u bios are likely the reason for my increase in clock speed. Can anyone confirm this with their bios swap?

The 5950Ultra BIOS actually ups the voltages on the RAM and GPU, that's why you can clock higher.

Ryan

I'm not sure it's any more than speculation whether the bios increases timings, raises voltage, or both. I myself doubt that the bios ever controls voltage to begin with in a design like this; the only reason the bios enters into voltage regulation on the pc itself is so we can adjust it.

The volt mods for the 5900 are easy, but you have to be careful. Only small increases are feasible on air without damaging the card. The heat produced shows how hard the memory chips are working as well.

saulin said:
Flashed my Gainward 5900U to the 5950 bios and my core overclocks to 560Mhz

Before it would die at 528mhz or so with extreme air cooling. Like air conditioning plus 2 big as$ fans on the card.

Now with just the fans and no air conditioning blowing on the card it hits 560Mhz so this software mod sure helps a lot.

What bios did You use? There is 9 different bios versions for 5950 at Gainward ftp?

Someone popsted it somewhere

my bios info says: 4.35.20.35.08

I think this is the file name

5950E400.ROM

As I said before. There are BIOS's on my website. Link is in the post above.

Ryan

kraigc I would think so as long as your card can handle 5950 speeds.

I would not try it on a 5900NU without first upgrading the cooling

My 5900 non-ultra could not handle the 5950 speeds, (see a few replies back) until I flashed it with the 5950 bios. So it may just work fine as it has for me.
I'm currently running at 485/985. ;)

kraigc said:
Will these BIOS's work with other brand 5900s?

Yeah, I'd like to know that also. I have an XFX FX5900nu 256Mb on the way. XFX does not have any flash bios' on their web site and I'm not sure if they have an ftp site.

Hoot

So... Is it true the overvolting with that bios? Could it make my card las for less time?

Blazko: All that is is a 5900 at lower clock speeds. So yes. It will work.

Ryan

BFG's 5900 will in fact flash to a 5950 using leadtek's BIOS.

xtremesystems confirmed a while back that the BIOS DOES add voltage. Previously I couldn't push the card past 460/980. I can now bench a few times in 3DMark 2k1 @ 510/1050, and in 2k3 @ 490/1000.

Even better, with better cooling/vmods, those numbers could go even higher :D.

Back