• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor is about to explode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p!ktu]2e_1

Okay... A few months ago my friend suggested me to set my refresh rate to 85 Hertz. It was super easy on my eyes, but left me faced with problems...
Months later My monitor has sudden flashes that take up the entire screen. I believe these flickers have been caused by setting the refresh rate too high. Has anybody else had this problem?

btw its a Envision 17':(

Ususally you can not put the refresh above spec, it will just go blank or display an out of range error, when do these flashes happen, how about when you open a game? If it is just when you start a game, then there is absolutely nothing wrong, games usually control the monitor themselves and set the refresh rate back down to 60hz, when it does this there will be a 2-5second flash and the monitor might make a click sound, but it is normal, if it is just doing it randomly, the monitor may be going bad, but it isnt nessicarily because of the high refresh.

BTW, if it is just random try setting it down to 80hz, and see if it quits.

EDIT: What version of ATI's drivers are you using also?

My monitor doesnt go blank it has streaks across screen going horizontally. It happens randomly, even w/my old video card.

Setting a refresh rate or resolution too high can destroy a monitor. A good friend watched a Best Buy employee destroy several monitors in a display by asking to see one at its highest setting most could not handle it. A few died silently while others were a bit more spectacular.. None actually caught fire though...

Back