• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bafbrian

Here's the thing. I have a decent amount of money to spend on a LCD. Which is something I have wanted. Anyway, I see the many people are recommending the 17"in BenQ FP767 LCD. I would like to get this one, but I don't want to spend all my money.

So, what 15'in LCD would you recommend that will be good ?

BTW - I will playing games like CS, Max Payne, and GTA3 a lot.

THX in advance.

If you are only looking as large as a 15" if you go LCD then I wouldn't recommend an LCD. I would either save a bit more so you can afford a 17" or go for a CRT. If you must get an LCD and are going to be gaming, try finding a selection of them in the 16ms response time range and maybe post a list of the options you found.

If you're going to be gaming on it. ie: CS, then go with a CRT, most LCDs have a tiny amount of display lag which isnt nice for games like CS where the pace is so fast. Also, LCDs can "burn-in" an image, whereby if you leave say your desktop up for a long time and dont move anything the image on the screen with burn into the LCD. So you will always see a ghost image of that.
Maybe they've fixed this I'm not sure, but i personally think CRTs > LCDs ;)

.e n v y said:
If you're going to be gaming on it. ie: CS, then go with a CRT, most LCDs have a tiny amount of display lag which isnt nice for games like CS where the pace is so fast. Also, LCDs can "burn-in" an image, whereby if you leave say your desktop up for a long time and dont move anything the image on the screen with burn into the LCD. So you will always see a ghost image of that.

There's a pretty good debate on LCDs v. CRTs for the exact reasons you've mentioned above.

If you buy a decent LCD, you will have no trouble at all with ghosting. Also, the only time I have ever gotten the burned in image is when I went on vacation for 2 weeks and left my laptop running and for some reason the screen didn't shut off. However, after about an hour of doing misc. tasks the image went away.

.e n v y said:

You are thinking of plasmas. LCDs never burn-in.

are there any old and crappy laptops with plasma monitor over lcd??? here in my college they have some old *** compaq laptops (amd k6-2 go figure...) and they are burned as hell,

Odd I always heard that lcds didn't really need screensavers anymore since they didn't burn in. One time my screen saver didn't come on, and power save didn't turn my lcd off for a whole weekend (I went home and left my comp on in my rush to leave, heh). It didn't burn-in at all. Maybe it just takes longer?

Last edited:
SnComet2 said:
Odd I always heard that lcds didn't really need screensavers anymore since they didn't burn in. One time my screen saver didn't come on, and power save didn't turn my lcd off for a whole weekend (I went home and left my comp on in my rush to leave, heh). Maybe it just takes longer?
They don't "burn in" in the same manner that CRTs do. CRTs burn in because if the same image stays on their screens for too long, the electron beams gradually etch away at the phosphor pixels by heating them, causing them to evaporate somewhat, reducing their light output. This is especially true of monochrome CRTs used in ATMs and such, where the phosphor is of a different chemical makeup, and often more prone to boiling off.

As far as LCDs go, they do not burn in, in the traditional sense. This is the first time I've heard about them burning in at all, actually, and I'm having trouble understanding how that's even possible.

Also, LCDs can "burn-in" an image, whereby if you leave say your desktop up for a long time and dont move anything the image on the screen with burn into the LCD

That is a completely false statement. LCD's have never had a burn in problem and CRT's do not burn in any longer either unless you left the same image on for like a year. That was a problem that went away back in the 80's.

As far as getting a 15 LCD, if you have a 17 CRT now you will feel very comfortable with a 15 LCD. I have 16ms and have never noticed any ghosting while playing a game. It's a 15" and I am perfectly happy. Another option if you want to spend less on a 17" BenQ is to check their website for refurbished monitors that have a shorter warranty.

Yeah, I was thinking, hmm.. Because I accidentally left my UT2004 game going for a few hours, and the screensaver didn't come up, and the monitor didn't put itself in standby, I was scarrrrreeeeeeedddd. I haven't had any problems, though. :D Technology, saving idiots like me one day at a time. ;)

Back