• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gf5900xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
Well I have a GF5900Xt coming in the mail and I need a after market heatsink.I've looked around and havent found any heat sinks specificly for the 5900 series cards.I'm thinking about using the Thermaltake Copper 478 1U heat sink.I also have a ThermalTake Crystal Orb cooler that I used on my 9700.I wouldnt use it to over clock but could it handel stock speeds?

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with any of the dumpy 'orb' style coolers on an FX5900. They can generate a ton of heat... I'd stick with nothing less than the normally-substantial units that come with the cards. A 1U CPU cooler should do the trick, though, since it would place fin area directly over the die of the GPU, and that's ultimately what matters.

Sorry, but you really have to think about this -
I wouldnt use it to over clock but could it handel stock speeds
Who the hell would sell a vid card that wouldn't do stock speeds? The only reason to change the HSF would be to OC, the stock cooling will work fine @ stock speeds.

And, as mentioned, the 5900's usually come w/ mombo HSF arrangements.

I'm buying the card used the previous owner water cooled it and doesnt have the clips to hold the stock heat sink down thats why.
Bailey said:
Sorry, but you really have to think about this -

Who the hell would sell a vid card that wouldn't do stock speeds? The only reason to change the HSF would be to OC, the stock cooling will work fine @ stock speeds.

And, as mentioned, the 5900's usually come w/ mombo HSF arrangements.

Back