• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeforceFX 5200 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gamer90

Okay I am thinking about overclocking my Geforce FX 5200 from 250 Mhz core clock frequency and 400 Mhz memory clock frequency what do you guys think is a good increase without having to buy anything like an extra fan, a heatsink or a liquid cooling system. Thanks in advance for posting Gamer90.

Okay so I should be okay with heating issues? Will rasing my memory clock frequency raise the heat that the GPU produces greatly?

You should be fine with the heat issue unless ur are temps are real high.

The heat that the memory modules give off is no where near the amount that the core does,but that doesnt mean its ok either.

As I remember the memory on the 5200 doesnt get that hot even when overclocked so u should be fine there also.

All in all if you are going to overclock, you should buy a new gpu cooler and ramsinks because although you may be able to overclock without them,if you have better cooling you will stand a better chance of getting a higher overclock and longer life from the card.

i have the same vcard and i just oced mine up to 275 core and 371 mem clock (stock=250 core, and 331 mem core) i didnt want to go to over board and fry my vcard :), of course that would be bad :p

O i almost forgot a question that i have about vcards, is there a program that can test your vcards limits? just wondering

Thanks

ok ill try it, one quicky question what is the purpose of changes the clock speeds and the memor clocks? what will i notice? better fsp in games?

yes, the card will simply be faster, and if the card was one of the bottlenecks, then youll see improvements :)

carefull

carefull with whats you do that card aint stable for oc well it depends abit asus and xtasy arestable but not much more than the otherbrabds
5200 = 250 core clock
mx440 = 270 core clock

the nvidia compagny didnt well made tha job ont the card . well all whats i am saying is start slow and give ur self some levels dont never oc that card ont one shot .

my chaintech 5200 (250/332) with stock heatsink/fan overclocks to 380/425 stable. cant go any higher, but thats fine with me. i think that the extra heat screwed up my fan though cuz it doesnt work all the time now and buzzes. sometimes i have to tap it to get it to start to spin. need a new one now, but ive got no money

bsfalcon said:
my chaintech 5200 (250/332) with stock heatsink/fan overclocks to 380/425 stable. cant go any higher, but thats fine with me. i think that the extra heat screwed up my fan though cuz it doesnt work all the time now and buzzes. sometimes i have to tap it to get it to start to spin. need a new one now, but ive got no money

If you can,stick a case fan uner the card in the meantime to help out with the heat just in case the one on the card dies.Try to get this problem fixed or you may lose your card from overheating.I know you have no money so a cool free way to get the best cooling is to mount a cpu cooler on it.You may have a cpu heatsink laying around somewhere.Even if it doesnt have a fan on it,it will still be great and you can put a case fan under it also.
Let us know how things go.

I have my 5200 up to 311/459. Just ordered some Arctic adhesive and will push the memory a bit higher. I use Aquamark3d to make sure the OC sticks. I have noticed that when I put the core too high, it will throttle down after about 5 mins, so Falcon you might wanna double check to see if that 380 sticks while running a 3D app.

Not that I dont believe you, but I find it a little hard to believe you got that high on stock cooling and it stick throughout 3D app.

yeah, right now i rigged an old p4 cpu fan under it, and seems to work pretty well. im just not playing any newer games for very long, in case it overheats.

Hey, I got the same card, its a PNY GeForce FX 5200 128 MB AGP, but man, I tested a few geforce fx 5200's and they can all overclock a difference amount becuase there from difference makers, but I noticed the PNY version can overclock the best of them all, like I could goto 347 for my core clock and 421 for memory clock, but then in desert combat I get lower FPS, so I keep mine on 331 for the core clock and memory clock is 410, but you just have to play with it, also, I noticed that if your overclocking your CPU, ram, that stuff, the video card can play a big role on how high you can overclock to, like I overclocked my card and I can now get to 3.00 Ghz from 2.53 Ghz was my original default prosseror speed when I built the computer, and if I dident overclock my card I could only goto about 2.86 Ghz, and this is all a stable state, anyway, I hope some of my info helps ya out, no one helped me overclock my video card for the first time so it can be scarry, I bet even more with a more expencive card like alot of the others have but for the games I play I dont need that, anyway, later all, also anyone know where to get some program that tells the tempature of the video card?

Back