• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are heat sinks made of???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dalek2.0 said:
I read on another forum, old posts though, that aluminum was !better! than copper. It was a old thread but I hope they saw the light by now.

:D :D :D :D

Whoever wrote that was not correct, copper is a better thermal medium than aluminum, and silver is better than them both, but not by much. Coppers for many reasons, most notably in terms of cost is the best bet. :rolleyes:

I agree. I have a totally copper CPU heat sink, Volcano 11+. It does a real good job too. Proofs in the puddin:

Code:
root@smoker /home/dale # cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0290/temp_input1
root@smoker /home/dale # cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0290/temp_input2
root@smoker /home/dale #

That is 24C for case and 29C for CPU. Yes, I run Linux. NO windoze here. Yes, I named my computer smoker. It is faster than my old 400MHz. :eh?: Yes, I plan to overclock soon. I'm getting all my ducks in a row. :confused: I can't find PCI lock in the BIOS.

I would prefer copper over aluminum any day. If you have a big enough fan, the heat will go away. What I saw/read was on natural convection, no fans. That may make a bit of difference.

Still learning though.

:D :D

Back