• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get the Gainward, Chaintech, eVGA, or PNY 6800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

I need a new video card. My budget isn't very big and I've decided that I should get an Nvidia 6800 based card. Now which of the four should I get(prices from Anandtech Realtime Pricing):

Gainward GeForce 6800 128MB Golden Sample - $315.00
Chaintech GeForce 6800 128MB - $301.00
eVGA GeForce 6800 128MB - $282.00
PNY GeForce 6800 128MB - $275.00

I'm thinking about the Gainward because of their reputation and it would come with a decent software package. I'm not a big fan of PNY video and I don't know much about eVGA. What do you all recommend? Please pick one and tell me why. Thanx.

Im in the same boat as you. What software does the Gainward card come with? The eVGA comes with Far Cry.

Just to make things more complicated for you, I went with a Leadtek 6800. Sells for about that same. Currently, I'm running mine at 400/887. It came bundled with PoP:Sands of Time, Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow, Gun Metal, and Big Mutha Truckers. Plus, I am quite happy with the stock cooler on it.

One of them (forgot which one) doesn't have ANY cooling on the RAM, so I dunno how good that would be for overclocking. Personally I am looking at the eVGA, because it comes with farcry and it has a good rep.

Evga = 2.8ns with RAM cooling.
Chaintech = 2.2ns without RAM cooling.

Hmm... i tot of getting chaintech. I can add ram cooler on my card rite?

correct me if im wrong >.<

Btw... how do u count the total memory?

thanks. :sn:

Yes you can add ram-sinks, but personally I think it should come with some. It should run fine stock, but if you want to overclock slap some on.

And total memory.. just look at whatever it says. The 6800's will be either 128MB or 256MB total.

mmm the memory i mean is the one dat they count like:

engine clock x ns = 900Mhz..

sory im still a newbie :(

I read that Leadtek 6800 is very heavy so i am leaning towards eVGA, I heard nothing but good news from the review. Right now still confused which brand that I am going to choose too.

nVIDIA GeForce 6800 128mb 256bit non-GT non-Ultra
I gathered all the info from newegg and manufacturer website.

:Gainward :Chaintech: Leadtek: XFX : eVGA: PNY: BFG:
GPU clock speed : 325: 358: 325 : 325: 325: 325: 350:
Memory clock : 700: 770 : 700: 700 : 700: 700 : 700:
BUS : AGP 4x/8x: 4x/8x : 4x/8x : 4x/8x : 4x/8x : 8x : 8x:
Ports : VGA/TV/DVI: <same : <same: TV/2x DVI: <same: TV/2xDVI :<same:
Game included :Arx Fatalis : Commandos 3: Splinter cell, Prince of persia: Commandos 3 :FarCry :no game :FarCry
Price : $300 : $295 : $287.50 : $285 : $283 : 299 : N/A:
Where to buy : Newegg : <same: <same : <same : <same :CompUSA :N/A:

There might be an error in there, :-/
hope it helps!

Last edited:
I was looking at these cards as well, but when I looked on eBay at the XFX card, one of the reviews said that their card was running at 325 mHz stock, not the 400 as listed..

yeah, newegg has listed some of the GPU clock higher than the orginal, i don't know why. i have edited my post and now it will be more accurate.

AFAIK gigabyte should be having a non-ultra on the way only using passive radiator.
Linky linky

The tests are in Danish, sorry, but scroll down to the picture of the gigabyte 68128DH... Fit a Delta or Zalman fan on that baby, and you should be rocking.

Link to Guru3D on the card

In the test its award best value/money.

Cheers, Flix

Back