• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I put my games in the SSD or leave them in the HDD ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hi,

Just finished installing Windows 10 on my new 1TB SSD with GPT format.

I noticed the quick boot up of the SSD, and I have other 2 HDDs that contain my files and games.

I put 200GB for windows in the SSD and left 731GB, now what should I do now ? Should I put all my installed games in the SSD for gaming and keep games install copies in the other HDDs ?

1. Is reliable to game on SSD ?
2. What is best to put in SSD and what is best to put in HDDs ?
3. I'm thinking in putting Office package and other big programs in HDDs partition, but would Office get the speed benefits if I put it in SSD ?
4. How to test the performance of this SSD ? It's Crucial MX500. I don't know I feel its windows explorer operations are a bit slower than HDD !

Last edited:
Absolutely put your most frequently used games in the second partition!

1. Yep!
2. SSD is fast and good for frequently used files and any you want to access quickly. HDD are better for warm and cold storage. I keep backup images and such on a HDD (though i have one active on an SSD for really quick restores).
3. Put office on the SSD too... absolutely.
4. Run ATTO, Crystal Disk mark, Crucial may have its own software too monitor/check/optimize... etc.

ok I installed Crucial software and this appeared to me so I think it's enough proof that it's a genuine SSD, I don't care for testing it now as most importantly is it's a true SSD and it should be fast and after couple restarts to the system I started to notice a snappy actions.

2.png

So I should start to get more happy with time to discover the potentials of SSD. And not blaming my self for paying +$100 for 1TB SSD where I could get 2TB HDD for like $50 that's double capacity and half price.

I watched videos on YouTube for comparisons of SSD vs HDD for launching games, and actually there's wasn't that difference, that moment I started to regret this purchase :sn:

Yeah, my main post isn't about that if the SSD is a fake one or not, it's just a secondary mission :)

Like SPEC OPS in Call of Duty :)

My main concern is actually the management of the folders of games and programs.

Well, now I kept the games in the HDD, so there's still +700GB free in the SSD and I'm not interested in moving the games to the SSD partitions, is that because as I mentioned before the comparisons in the YouTube proved that there's isn't much of a difference.

I really don't know what to do, I have now 3TB in my rig.

You know what !! I'm thinking of putting all the programs that are heavy in a separate partition in the SSD and all other stuff.

Then I would put all my games in the other 2 HDDs since there isn't much difference in speed + 2TB just for games is better than 700GB in the SSD.

But I have a question, when I start to put the games in the HDDs, should I divide the HDDs in partitions and distribute the games in different partitions in case if anything happened to one partition then I have a chance of saving the rest of the HDD ! How about that ?

If your drive fails it is going to take out all the partitions. If you have the extra room, move all you stuff over to the SSD then use the spinning rust as a backup drive. easier to manage for daily use and provides some data security.

Last edited:
PUT THE GAMES ON THE SSD!!!!!! yes, I'm shouting this.
If you run out of ram, the system reverts to disk.
I have A few games that you can tell are faster on the ssd over the hdd, one stutters when installed on an hdd.

I would only put the games you regularly play on the SSD and if you think you won't play a game again, move it from the SSD to the hard drive. There are programs that let you move Steam games to new locations and have them still be playable. Games waste a ton of space, 65 to 150 GB a pop for large ones, make sure that they earn their place taking up your valuable SSD space.

I would only put the games you regularly play on the SSD and if you think you won't play a game again, move it from the SSD to the hard drive. There are programs that let you move Steam games to new locations and have them still be playable. Games waste a ton of space, 65 to 150 GB a pop for large ones, make sure that they earn their place taking up your valuable SSD space.

Yep ! That's what I'm talking about. The most or new games that I play frequently, I put in SSD and old ones in the HDD :)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If your drive fails it is going to take out all the partitions. If you have the extra room, move all you stuff over to the SSD then use the spinning rust as a backup drive. easier to manage for daily use and provides some data security.

Yeah, I thought that sometimes a partition would fail or get corrupted in a specific HDD but not sure. But yeah I agree with you.

PUT THE GAMES ON THE SSD!!!!!! yes, I'm shouting this.
If you run out of ram, the system reverts to disk.
I have A few games that you can tell are faster on the ssd over the hdd, one stutters when installed on an hdd.

Alright !! Thanks man :)

Put the games on the ssd.

Dont partition the heck out of that drive.. no need.

Yep .. I started to feel more partition = more confusing. But since I have 3 drives now, I can specify one drive for games which would be the SSD, 2nd one for old games, programs, games install copies .. etc. 3rd one ... I guess would carry more games or maybe later I would use it for something else.

I'm copying folders from HDD to the SSD, but I noticed the copy speed is similar to copying from HDD to HDD.

I was expecting to get speed like +200Mb/s. But I think the limit here is because it's the max speed of HDD, but if I'm copying from SSD to SSD then the speed would double at least.

Untitled.png

SSDs were made to load the OS as fast as possible and also to take care of the gaming needs.

So yes, put your games in the SSD. You will see an improvement in the performance of the device when you play the games.
And do not listen to the rant of SSD degrading with time.
SSds are as reliable as HDDs, if not more.

Regards.

SSDs were made to load the OS as fast as possible and also to take care of the gaming needs.

So yes, put your games in the SSD. You will see an improvement in the performance of the device when you play the games.
And do not listen to the rant of SSD degrading with time.
SSds are as reliable as HDDs, if not more.

Regards.

OK thank you for the information.

I have one question now, does it matter gaming on MBR/GPT HDDs ? Does both perform the same ?

AFAIK both perform the same.

MBR was the older standard and is limited to 4 partions per drive and limits of 2 TB.

GPT is the more modern standard.

OK, I configured my SSD and WD blue HDD to GPT. Now left my last toshiba HDD to convert it as well.

But I faced a problem in moving games folders from MBR to GPT HDD. It gave me the message

can't read from source file or disk fix

So I knew it because of this difference, but I learned that I can move the folder to external USB flash and move it again to GPT HDD.

------------------------------------------------------

I have another question: Where to post about overclocking guide in this forum ? I tried to follow articles about overclocking my 4770k to 4.2GHz but didn't work. Sometimes system won't boot and sometimes if it worked, when I put the rig to sleep and try to wake it again, it won't wake up and I have to reset overclocking settings to default 3.9GHz profile.

I have another question: Where to post about overclocking guide in this forum ? I tried to follow articles about overclocking my 4770k to 4.2GHz but didn't work. Sometimes system won't boot and sometimes if it worked, when I put the rig to sleep and try to wake it again, it won't wake up and I have to reset overclocking settings to default 3.9GHz profile.
Make a post in the correct sub forum.
AMD CPU and Intel CPU

Since you said 4770k you are going to want to use the Intel one.

Back