• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra and GT Both have 16 Pipes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Okay if they both of 16 pipes, same core I am assuming, why is one clocked higher than the other? Basically what is the difference. I tried getting a blow by blow account of each on the nvidia site, but I can't find squat.

The faster clocked one will perform better, and I would assume that in addition to faster clockrates the cooling will be better and the GPU and RAM will be tested and the better ones given a speed increase and sold as the faster card.

A bit like how some RAM and some CPUs OC better than others although they are still the same actual model.

ahh these new cards are too confusing. But ocing a card is easy, and there is a VGA silencer for the 6800s now so, I may invest in the GT and a VGA silencer, and overclock.

Most GT's will do Ultra speeds no problem. Mine does 420/1.1 all day long without any problems. The cooling solution on the ultra is better, but once the VGA silencer is out, that won't be an issue either..

Back