• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GT OCing precautions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chowdy

Okay, so my house is extremely hot nowadays, along the lines of 85F+ in my room. Of course, my computer hates it. My case's ambient temp as read by the videocard is 46C, and the idle temp of the videocard is 67C @ Ultra speeds. When i'm in game, the temp never gets above or at 90C. I'm wondering if this is safe, because i know GPU's can take a lot, but i don't wanna kill a $400 card that i had to drive accross the counry to get (11 miles, but it was still a pain :p). Anyways, thanks for your future advice.

I know the default warning temp in the drivers say 120C, which is VERY high.
Someone over @ Rage3d forums as a little picture of the nVidia temp readout saying 90C as his avatar. So I'm assuming that it's fairly high. I would turn down the OC until your room cools off a little.

Stay under 100'C or so.. Even though these cards are BUILT to take heats in the 120'C+ range, your best to say under 100...

well, the fan of my card failed and i was using it a whole day long without the fan spinning, and i played doom3 alot that day! it was at 94°c idle and somewhat over 100°c load, so i guess your 67 are ok ;)
this was on a 6800nu though.

Well i will just keep it at this and see what happens. my ambient temp is lower now and my idle card temp is 63C now since i cleaned out a case fan. How can i get the temp to show up in my tray?

BUMP!

I'm really interested if anyone knows what is unsafe for these cards. The card DOES throttle down if i OC too high, but i'm not sure if that's is due to heat or voltage. Does anyone know what temperature levels are safe?

Generally, as I said, its safe as long as you are under 100'C.. I've read where the fan was broke and people ran the 6800GT's at 115'-130' range for *DAYS* and their cards are still fine...

Kobra007 said:
Generally, as I said, its safe as long as you are under 100'C.. I've read where the fan was broke and people ran the 6800GT's at 115'-130' range for *DAYS* and their cards are still fine...

Sorry for sounding like i ignored your post. I was hoping for multiple opinions. Since you've seen those results on other people's computers, then i'm fine. Thanks for the post.

Another thing i'm wondering about the 6800 GT -- what's with the pausing? If i overclock too high the card will pause for a few seconds in game. I watch my temps, and they stay quite low (below 80C) the whole time. This cannot be thermal throttling, what is it?

Back