• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CHVF-Z cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
as one or two of you know I tend to enjoy making a bit of trouble by pushing my skillz at clocking.
well.... I'm at it again and having, shockingly, a bit of trouble.
the current victim is Bassnuts old CHVF-Z with a motherboard block along with my 9590 cpu.
my target at this time is 5.4ghz, 24/7, fully loaded, all 8 burning and a churnin!!!!!!!
I'm at 5.2 and lose one core after 5 hours of p95, 26.6, so a little more work for me to do here.

monitor.PNG

as you can see my cpu line is hitting 67c.
my issue is that on these boards the vrm can tend to get a bit flaky between 70c and 80c and I have to raise the power frequency to keep it stable, this adds to the vrm temp as it increases the "on" time of the fets which gives me more heat to deal with.
I'm all water, loop order is,
pump-cpu-vrm-480-rad- titan gpu-360 rad-back to pump.
I'm on the fence on adding another rad between the cpu and vrm, I "might" be able to make this work, or going back to air on the vrm as I "know" I can make this work up to 90c.

Put a fan on the backside of the socket first before you make any decisions.
VRM block adds a ton of restriction to the loop.
I'd ditch that if the socket fan doesn't help.

A fan on the backside of the socket is pretty much out of the question in this case, my hard drives are mounted over the back of the motherboard and I have found only a little flow is needed back there anyway, till going extreme.
I am a bit surprised at the vrm temps under water, in the past I have made 5.6 with this cpu on my aircooled board and been able to keep the vrm temp within 10-15 degrees of the cpu till 1.65 vcore, this is building heat a heck of a lot faster.

any way you can just put a food thermometer in the reservoir see below. I'm just curious if your really do need more raddage. Also I was thinking maybe try putting a fan over the Vrm block maybe a little more air in that section will help.
IMG_3870a.jpg

I can give that a go but it'll need to wait till I can get this ram issue corrected, the beast won't boot with the ram over 1600, 7-7-7 the cpu/nb over 2000 or the ht over 2200 for some reason, kind of like wrestling a three headed shark, whos eyes do I gouge out first, theirs or mine!!!!!

2105, the latest.
I was playing with ram and it seems I bjorked it again, will over write it and reinstall the os.

ok...... so now I'M bjorked, I extract the bios to a usb, rename it .rom????
it's not working..........

Back